London Banter

-   -   Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15399-chris-grayling-gives-backing-crossrail.html)

[email protected] July 26th 17 12:37 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] July 26th 17 02:00 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

tim... July 26th 17 08:29 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

wrote in message
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

none, last time I looked

[email protected] July 26th 17 08:31 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

Not sure there's anywhere left to extend it to that doesn't involve new track
or tunneling and that won't happen because its not london. Even as a londoner
I think the disparity between the investment the capital gets in transport
infrastructure and what other cities get is a disgrace.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] July 26th 17 09:12 AM

wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

Not sure there's anywhere left to extend it to that doesn't involve new track
or tunneling and that won't happen because its not london. Even as a londoner
I think the disparity between the investment the capital gets in transport
infrastructure and what other cities get is a disgrace.

Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham trams have all had new track,
stations, routes and fleets in the recent past.

tim... July 26th 17 09:43 AM

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

Not sure there's anywhere left to extend it to that doesn't involve new
track
or tunneling and that won't happen because its not london. Even as a
londoner
I think the disparity between the investment the capital gets in transport
infrastructure and what other cities get is a disgrace.

the problem is that London's spend is skewed by the huge number of people
that it has to provide transport for, who don't actually live there

tim

[email protected] July 26th 17 10:16 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:12:45 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article

-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

Not sure there's anywhere left to extend it to that doesn't involve new track
or tunneling and that won't happen because its not london. Even as a londoner
I think the disparity between the investment the capital gets in transport
infrastructure and what other cities get is a disgrace.

Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham trams have all had new track,
stations, routes and fleets in the recent past.

You rather missed the point. In europe cities the size of brum and manchester
generally have a tram system AND a proper metro but until the 90s they didn't
even have the trams and nottingham only gots its tram 10 or so years ago! This
is a shameful indictment of UK public transport policy by all governments.

--
Spud

Roland Perry July 26th 17 11:51 AM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

In message , at 10:16:08 on Wed, 26 Jul
2017, d remarked:

In europe cities the size of brum and manchester
generally have a tram system AND a proper metro but until the 90s they didn't
even have the trams and nottingham only gots its tram 10 or so years ago! This
is a shameful indictment of UK public transport policy by all governments.

And despite the cries of anguish from the Manchester area, London
farepayers contribute half the cost of running Northern Rail. A massive
subsidy for which they don't appear to be the slightest bit grateful.

Recliner[_3_] July 26th 17 12:12 PM

Chris Grayling gives backing to Crossrail 2

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:43:04 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

I think a lot of the Tyne & Wear Metro improvements are
locally funded too.

What improvements?

The ones currently under way.

So do they include new network extensions, new stations or new stock, as
Manchester Metrolink has repeatedly enjoyed?

Not sure there's anywhere left to extend it to that doesn't involve new
track
or tunneling and that won't happen because its not london. Even as a
londoner
I think the disparity between the investment the capital gets in transport
infrastructure and what other cities get is a disgrace.

the problem is that London's spend is skewed by the huge number of people
that it has to provide transport for, who don't actually live there

True, but London taxpayers also contribute heavily to the transport
costs in Wales, Scotland and the North of England.

tim... July 26th 17 07:35 PM

wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 02:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I find it hard to believe that operating subsidy reaches close to London's
CapEx advantages

tim