London Banter

-   -   Green Party lunacy (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1540-green-party-lunacy.html)

MeatballTurbo April 1st 04 02:49 PM

Green Party lunacy

In article ,
says...
You are listening out for cars as you cross the road - suddenly, when the
pushbike is right on top of you, you get this pathetic little tinkle.
I murmur to the cyclist, 'Sorry, didn't see you.'
And then he or she RIDES AWAY SHAKING HIS OR HER HEAD.

Try looking.

You neck can swivel left to right.
That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn, it says
I'm here. If you choose to ignore it, then you are lucky it was their
own head they were shaking.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Mark Foster April 1st 04 03:53 PM

Green Party lunacy

In article ,
MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

--
Mark Foster, IT Services, University of Sussex Comp, UK. BN1 9QJ
E-Mail: - +44 1273 678902/873135

Helen Deborah Vecht April 1st 04 04:25 PM

Green Party lunacy

Mark Foster typed

In article ,
MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

Bells aren't very loud. My voice is louder so I have 'an audible warning
of approach'.

Cyclists don't have to take hands off brakes/gears/handlebars to use the
voice.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

BrianW April 1st 04 09:31 PM

Green Party lunacy

"Mark Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

--
Mark Foster, IT Services, University of Sussex Comp, UK. BN1 9QJ
E-Mail: - +44 1273 678902/873135
"There are no such useless words as...'I didn't have a chance.'"
[Driving, HMSO]

Most bikes don't have a bell. Bawling works just as well :-)

Brian

Helen Deborah Vecht April 1st 04 10:11 PM

Green Party lunacy

"BrianW" typed

Most bikes don't have a bell. Bawling works just as well :-)

^
It works better, for the reasons I gave up there ^^

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

MeatballTurbo April 1st 04 10:14 PM

Green Party lunacy

In article m.e.fosterREMOVEMEFIRST-E5A432.16535901042004
@sussex.jnrs.ja.net, spouted forth
into uk.rec.driving...
In article ,
MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

It has the same legal meaning, even if it isn't a legal requirement.
--
Carl Robson

Mark Foster April 2nd 04 07:35 AM

Green Party lunacy

MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

It has the same legal meaning, even if it isn't a legal requirement.

That is NOT the same as being a legal equivalent.

W K April 2nd 04 08:05 AM

Green Party lunacy

MeatballTurbo wrote:

That tinkling you hear is the legal equivalent of the cars horn,

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is NOT
required to have a bell.

Because 99.99% of bikes are fitted with a far more effective audible warning
device.

PeterE April 2nd 04 10:08 AM

Green Party lunacy

Yes, "Oi, gerrout the ****ing way!"

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William

Mark Foster April 2nd 04 10:13 AM

Green Party lunacy

In article ,
"PeterE" wrote:

W K wrote:
"Mark Foster" wrote in message

No it isn't. A car is required to have a working horn. A bicycle is
NOT required to have a bell.

Because 99.99% of bikes are fitted with a far more effective audible
warning device.

Yes, "Oi, gerrout the ****ing way!"

Aren't most cars fitted with those too?