London Banter

-   -   New York Times on Crossrail (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15410-new-york-times-crossrail.html)

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:23 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message , at 10:56:30 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:
As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the

link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Obviously you're familiar with "copenhagen junction" and "belle isle". I've
never heard of them and have no idea where they are.

Between Finsbury Park and St Pancras.

Recliner[_3_] August 3rd 17 11:24 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:14:48 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 12:01:28 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:38:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017,
d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the

link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Indeed!

Indeed what? Is knowing the precise junction layouts of the various lines
a prerequsite of being able to discuss this?

I think we all assumed anyone posting here as often as you do, pouring
scorn on all and sundry, might have at least the most basic knowledge
of one of the biggest rail projects in London, which has been going on
for more than two decades. You often express strong opinions on the
Thameslink project, so it was reasonable for us to assume you might
know at least a tiny bit about what you're criticising.

So, no, we didn't expect you to "know the precise junction layouts of
the various lines," but to at least know the basics of the huge
project, including where the Thameslink and ECML routes connect.

Recliner[_3_] August 3rd 17 11:24 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:15:53 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:59:22 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:56:30 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:38:16 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017,
d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the
link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Obviously you're familiar with "copenhagen junction" and "belle isle". I've
never heard of them and have no idea where they are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57685025875056

That looks like it was a fun day out. Did the graffiti vandals do requests?

You probably know them, so why don't you ask?

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:24 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message , at 12:01:28 on
Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:
As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Indeed!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...08/03/advanced

I notice it's shown as a 365, but presumably it's more likely to be a
class 700 in reality?

Probably.

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:25 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message , at 11:14:48 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the

link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Indeed!

Indeed what? Is knowing the precise junction layouts of the various lines
a prerequsite of being able to discuss this?

The link has been discussed since before they built SPILL. Do keep up!

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:28 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you likeā€¦

It makes no sense to have an IEP mini-fleet to run 1tph.

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:28 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message , at 08:57:04 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017,
Basil Jet remarked:

I take it you don't read any railway magazines?

I don't read magazines yet to be printed. MML electrification was
only cancelled ten days ago.

RAIL dated yesterday (Wednesday) has the story on its front cover.

What does LIAR say about the fleet post-HST?

Roland Perry August 3rd 17 11:32 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 23:41:07 on Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

A class 700 all the way to Leicester? Ouch!

How far further north do you think Leicester is than Peterborough?

By rail, I'd have thought it was nearly 20 miles further?

Very close in mileage.

Hardly: here are the actual figures:
Peterborough: 76m 29h (76.36m)
Leicester: 99m 07ch (99.09m)

I'm not going to fall out over 99-76 being not close enough to 20.

So Leicester is almost 23 miles further from London, a bit more than my
quick initial guess. I note that you describe a 30% difference as 'very
close'. I'll remember that the next time you nit-pick over much smaller
differences.

Like I said, what's 3 miles?

Perhaps you should know the answers *before* setting challenges for people
more than capable of doing their own research?

The classic statistic is that Peterborough is further north than
Wolverhampton (few people believe that until you show them a map).

Recliner[_3_] August 3rd 17 11:50 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:28:02 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).
You'll be delighted that this is confirmed by Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#Fleet_details

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you like…

It makes no sense to have an IEP mini-fleet to run 1tph.

There's six HSTs. Grayling says bi-modes will replace them. Can you
think of any other bi-modes available for immediate purchase with 100+
mph capability? If Hull trains can operate five, why shouldn't EMT?
Presumably Hitachi will maintain them.

Recliner[_3_] August 3rd 17 11:51 AM

New York Times on Crossrail

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:28:44 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 08:57:04 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017,
Basil Jet remarked:

I take it you don't read any railway magazines?

I don't read magazines yet to be printed. MML electrification was
only cancelled ten days ago.

RAIL dated yesterday (Wednesday) has the story on its front cover.

What does LIAR say about the fleet post-HST?

It quotes Grayling as saying that bi-modes will be used. No doubt,
with your superior knowledge on the subject, you'll correct them and
him?