London Banter

-   -   Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15455-sunday-times-britains-favourite-railway.html)

Recliner[_3_] September 17th 17 11:24 AM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

Track stars: a celebration of Britain’s most spectacular railway stations

Our long-neglected stations are finally getting the attention they deserve,
says Simon Jenkins. Here are some of his favourites:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/track-stars-a-celebration-of-britains-most-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca37101953c5acd87f6b 9fc

Roland Perry September 17th 17 11:42 AM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

In message , at 11:24:45 on Sun, 17
Sep 2017, Recliner remarked:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ion-of-britain
s-most-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca3710
1953c5acd87f6b9fc

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail and
the Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former wanted
bung from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be of any
practical use - too far to walk, too close to get a bus or taxi) and the
park isn't even mentioned in any of NR's blurb.

tim... September 17th 17 01:26 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:24:45 on Sun, 17 Sep
2017, Recliner remarked:
Track stars: a celebration of Britain’s most spectacular railway stations

Our long-neglected stations are finally getting the attention they
deserve,
says Simon Jenkins. Here are some of his favourites:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ion-of-britain
s-most-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca3710
1953c5acd87f6b9fc

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail and the
Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former wanted bung
from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be of any practical
use - too far to walk,

it's not too far to walk

don't be silly

Offramp September 17th 17 02:08 PM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

Battersea Park looks surprisingly good; but I was at Crystal Palace for the first time in tears recently and that looked very good as well. Of course CP is quite a posh area, for south London.

Railway stations anywhere are a bit like churches: there's normally something of interest at every one.

[email protected] September 17th 17 03:56 PM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...of-britains-mo
st-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca37101953c5acd
87f6b9fc

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail
and the Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former
wanted bung from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be
of any practical use - too far to walk, too close to get a bus or
taxi) and the park isn't even mentioned in any of NR's blurb.

The name "Cambridge Science Park" was agreed at one point but then Network
Rail changed their mind and, ignoring the stakeholders who had agreed
before, changed it to "Cambridge North"

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Graeme Wall September 17th 17 04:02 PM

On 17/09/2017 12:24, Recliner wrote:
Track stars: a celebration of Britain’s most spectacular railway stations

Our long-neglected stations are finally getting the attention they deserve,
says Simon Jenkins. Here are some of his favourites:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/track-stars-a-celebration-of-britains-most-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca37101953c5acd87f6b 9fc

Is he going to do a book on x best stations to follow up his book on
churches, ah yes I see he's now done 100 Best Railway Stations, out next
week.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry September 17th 17 04:12 PM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

In message , at 10:56:10
on Sun, 17 Sep 2017, remarked:

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail
and the Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former
wanted bung from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be
of any practical use - too far to walk, too close to get a bus or
taxi) and the park isn't even mentioned in any of NR's blurb.

The name "Cambridge Science Park" was agreed at one point

But was it contingent on a bung?

but then Network Rail changed their mind

Because the bung was shown the door?

Tony Dragon September 17th 17 10:14 PM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

On 17/09/2017 12:24, Recliner wrote:
Track stars: a celebration of Britain’s most spectacular railway stations

Our long-neglected stations are finally getting the attention they deserve,
says Simon Jenkins. Here are some of his favourites:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/track-stars-a-celebration-of-britains-most-spectacular-railway-stations-lj0bjt3w6?shareToken=5516dda42ca37101953c5acd87f6b 9fc

Nothing about St Pancras.

---

[email protected] September 17th 17 11:12 PM

wrote:

In message , at
10:56:10 on Sun, 17 Sep 2017,
remarked:

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail
and the Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former
wanted bung from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be
of any practical use - too far to walk, too close to get a bus or
taxi) and the park isn't even mentioned in any of NR's blurb.

The name "Cambridge Science Park" was agreed at one point

But was it contingent on a bung?

No. Roland. However bad things are, we are not yet a banana republic.

but then Network Rail changed their mind

Because the bung was shown the door?

We have not been told.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 18th 17 08:13 AM

Sunday Times: Britain's favourite railway stations

In message , at 18:12:52
on Sun, 17 Sep 2017, remarked:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
10:56:10 on Sun, 17 Sep 2017,
remarked:

Clicking their quiz...

"Also known as Cambridge Science Park". No, it isn't. Network Rail
and the Science Park fell out at some point (I'm guessing the former
wanted bung from the latter, who realised it was too far away to be
of any practical use - too far to walk, too close to get a bus or
taxi) and the park isn't even mentioned in any of NR's blurb.

The name "Cambridge Science Park" was agreed at one point

But was it contingent on a bung?

No. Roland. However bad things are, we are not yet a banana republic.

Have you missed the recent announcements form Network rail that no
future new infrastructure will be built other than mainly at the expense
of third parties? (I hope the NHS has a budget for Addenbrookes
Station).

but then Network Rail changed their mind

Because the bung was shown the door?

We have not been told.

I'm pretty sure we have been told that the Science Park refused to
contribute to the cost of the station.