Old April 1st 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free travel for LUL staff on National Railways?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:39:06 +0100, "Alan O'Brien"
wrote:

I believe it is possible for *any* member of LUL Staff - pre- or
post-1996 - to claim two tickets a year on any National Railways route. My
AG1 says that it is only for people with priv tickets; I think it's all
staff.
Does anyone have chapter and verse from the rulebook?

This will not be chapter and verse I am afraid. Why don't you ring TfL
Staff Travel at Windsor House as they are the experts?

I believe free ticket entitlement only follows on from having privilege
ticket entitlement. If you joined post 1996 then there is no NR
privilege entitlement and therefore no free ticket allocation.

For those with free ticket entitlement then it is one free ticket a year
up to manager grade and 4 free tickets for business manager and above.
Very senior staff with sufficient long service may also have nice things
like regional passes or all lines passes.

All TfL staff (and dependents) are able to purchase discounted tickets
on Eurostar. This was a separately negotiated deal with no link to NR
entitlement.
--
Paul C

Old April 1st 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I haven't got the original message, but the free ticket was only for
managerial grades. Run of the mill train staff (e.g. drivers, guards (as
they were)) and station staff didn't get them, even though they had priv.
tickets. I believe that you still need to hold a priv ticket to be
eligible, but I'm not 100% certain.

Roger
Old April 1st 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

And booking clerks ;-)

Old April 1st 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I haven't got the original message, but the free ticket was only for
managerial grades.

And booking clerks ;-)

Seems a bit unfair to all the other staff, if it's true?

Burkey
Old April 1st 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

I believe free ticket entitlement only follows on from having privilege
ticket entitlement. If you joined post 1996 then there is no NR
privilege entitlement and therefore no free ticket allocation.

For those with free ticket entitlement then it is one free ticket a year
up to manager grade and 4 free tickets for business manager and above.
Very senior staff with sufficient long service may also have nice things
like regional passes or all lines passes.

What was/is the priv rate on NR for LUL staff? Is it the same 75% off NR
staff get?

Old April 2nd 04, 05:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"JWBA68" wrote in message
I haven't got the original message, but the free ticket was only for
managerial grades.

And booking clerks ;-)

Seems a bit unfair to all the other staff, if it's true?

A free ticket issued once a year was one of the agreements for booking
clerks, station inspectors and above. At the time there were many agreements
around, all agreed by management and the unions.

Old April 2nd 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robin Mayes) wrote:

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Forgot about them, but then booking clerks seem to be in a twilight world
where grades are concerned ;-)

Roger
Old April 2nd 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I haven't got the original message, but the free ticket was only for
managerial grades.

And booking clerks ;-)

Forgot about them, but then booking clerks seem to be in a twilight world
where grades are concerned ;-)

It's about time the unions negotiated free tickets for all grades then!

Burkey

Old April 2nd 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:47:52 -0500, "JB"
wrote:

I believe free ticket entitlement only follows on from having privilege
ticket entitlement. If you joined post 1996 then there is no NR
privilege entitlement and therefore no free ticket allocation.

For those with free ticket entitlement then it is one free ticket a year
up to manager grade and 4 free tickets for business manager and above.
Very senior staff with sufficient long service may also have nice things
like regional passes or all lines passes.

What was/is the priv rate on NR for LUL staff? Is it the same 75% off NR
staff get?

It is but only on the most expensive full fare open tickets. There is no
discount on pre-purchase or Saver type tickets. The priv rate is pretty
meaningless these days if you are travelling long distance and are sure
of when you wish to travel thereby being able to book early and get a
discounted fare.

The other big downside is that many popular trains have bans or
restrictions. While I do understand the reasons why the TOCs do this it
makes the apparent "benefit" of privilege reductions negligible in my
opinion. The never ending combination of poor railway performance and
very extensive weekend engineering works means that I have rarely used
any of my privilege ticket entitlements. The inconvenience and delay
far outweighs any benefit from a reduced fare. Those people who have a
priv season ticket reduction will have a different view about this as
they do make a genuine and appreciable saving on their travel to work
costs.
--
Paul C