Old September 27th 17, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus services outside of London

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 19:47:23 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:41:42 on Wed,
27 Sep 2017, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also
First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .

Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future

Interesting. As far as the law is concerned it would appear that ALL
bus services could be X1

Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).

Generally no they are not excluded. There are the occasional
exceptions which tend to be short duration special services for
holiday periods or events. Things like sightseeing tours tend to be
excluded but it depends entirely on how they are registered.

The X1s are Norwich are normal bus routes so concessionary passes are
valid. Probably one of the more surprising "local buses" is the
seasonal 888 Wrights Brothers service from Newcastle to Keswick.
Only runs in the high summer season now (used to be daily when I was
a child) but takes concessionary pass holders who rather enjoy a day
out to the Lakes or to Alston. You get about 4.5 hours in Keswick so
enough for a stroll to the Lakeside, round the town or to grab a
coffee and cake. I did it a few years ago right at the end of the
season - lots of people saying "goodbye" to each other and saying
they'll see them next Summer for a day out. The are loads and loads
of other "X" services or similar which accept concessionary permits
and which have pretty exceptional loadings as a result - the X15
Newcastle to Berwick (the old 505), the 555 Keswick - Lancaster,
Yorkshire Coastliner routes to Scarborough and Whitby, X93
Middlesbrough - Scarborough are just a few that I know of "up north"
which now need double deck vehicles to cope with the loadings.

I'm puzzled how concessionary passes are excluded from sightseeing tours
because they advertise "local fares available" which I thought was a dodge
to qualify for BSOG. But exclude passes they certainly do.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 27th 17, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. The X indicates limited stop in the big towns/cities. Not in the
small ones as there's often no other services!

I don't think there's any ticket which will cover all services. Depends
where you're staying what's best, and you'll need to plan.

First - Norwich, GY, and suburbs.
Konect - west of Norwich
Sanders - north of Norwich up to the coast
Green/Stagecoach (same firm) - King's Lynn and west, including the legendary
coasthopper.
Lynx - west
Anglian - east
Coach services - Thetford and south
Simonds - Diss and south

There are a few others like Marets Chariots and Our Hire running a few
services.

Traveline east Anglia is a good bet!

Coasthopper goes over to winter times this weekend
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3...OCT%202017.pdf
for the timetable - hope these work.

Don't forget there are trains to Lynn, Cromer/Sheringham, Yarmouth and
Lowestoft.

Self catering can be very cheap this time of year, particularly if there's
2+ of you. Supermarket home delivery available to most villages. Or taxi
from the local supermarket - even the smaller towns like Hunstanton have a
reasonable choice. The village stores are ok but limited choice for a big
shop at the start of the week and can be expensive.

Enjoy your stay Offramp! Feel free to pick my brains on group, or you can
probably work out my spam trap!

James

Old September 28th 17, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 21:50:27 UTC+1, James Heaton wrote:

[...]

James. many thanks for your very helpful suggestions. Also to Tim & Theo (again) and the others.

I am sure I am not alone in enjoying the coast at its worst. The sun gets on my nerves, and I prefer raging winds, driving rain and deserted beaches. very Hancockian.

Old September 28th 17, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote in message
[...]

Me too. I love the coast with a bit of wind and swell up.

Have you ever seen any of Lowry's seascapes, mostly of the small resorts
north and south of Sunderland? I think they would appeal based on the
above. I can look at them for ages, every time you look there's something a
bit different.

James