Old January 15th 18, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Heathrow Hyperloop hype

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
news
On 15/01/2018 16:29, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 15/01/2018 11:04, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 15/01/2018 09:19, Recliner wrote:
Here's the latest hyperloop hype from CES, now proposed as a means of
providing very fast links between Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted,
instead
of a new runway:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/01/14/build-heathrow-gatwick-hyperloop-instead-third-runway-says-branson/

snip hyperloop ********

Whilst the idea of linking all the London airports is sensible and
reasonable, how does it do away with the need for a third runway? Last
time I checked slots were at a premium at all London airports and it's
not like they're being used for inter-London flights is it?

Now, the third runway could be a second runway at Gatwick or whatever,
but you still need more overall capacity surely?

Arguably a second runway at Gatwick is more practical and a lot cheaper
than a third at Heathrow. But the former directly affects more tory
voters than the latter.

The commission found that both the costs and the benefits were lower at
Gatwick, but Heathrow was better overall.

But isn't the point of this discussion that if (and it's a whopping great
if) using the Hyperloop technology could give us inter-airport transfers
in the time it typically takes to change terminals in an airport then that
might change the dynamics and cost-benefit analysis of where to put
additional airport capacity in the overall London area.

Personally I'm still a fan of building an aiport in the middle of the
Severn estuary on a tidal barrage and connecting that with Heathrow (and
Gatwick/Stansted/Luton) via Hyperloop along the Great Western alignment
(which is pretty flat and straight). Benefits would be that the airport
would generate a massive amount of green power for the rest of the
country, you'd gain a further west road link between South Wales and the
South West (you might as well put a big road on top of the tidal barrage
as well), the Hyperloop would improve transport to South Wales / South
West, and you'd have an aiport that was marginally closer to the USA but
most importantly could be far enough from population centres that it could
operate 24x7 with impunity....

you are Michael Bell AICMFP

tim

Old January 15th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

I'll believe it when I see it working. I'm not sure many people will
like
the idea of being transported in a long tube at 670 mph.

like wot that are now you mean

tim

Old January 15th 18, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/01/2018 11:44, wrote:

Branson lost his right to comment on Brexit when he ****ed off to live on
his rock in the atlantic and not pay any tax.

Isn't that one of the aims of Brexit?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 15th 18, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Graeme
Wall) wrote:

On 15/01/2018 10:08, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-
september.org, at 09:19:31 on Mon, 15 Jan 2018, Recliner
remarked:

Here's the latest hyperloop hype from CES, now proposed as a means of
providing very fast links between Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted,

instead
of a new runway:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...w-gatwick-hype
rloop-instead-third-runway-says-branson/

Some rather older hype, which also reminded me of current
hype-infested discussions of autonomous cars and/or
driverless/electric parcel delivery in London:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTkua8qU8AAno6_.jpg

Good find.

Someone tweeted it this afternoon.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 15th 18, 05:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/01/2018 11:47, tim... wrote:

I.e. there's zero demand for a 01:00 departure AND a 04:00 landing.
People might suffer one or the other (for a medium/long haul
destination), but not both.

I've done midnight-ish to rancid o'clock in the morning flights from
Luton to eastern Europe, and they weren't empty.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old January 15th 18, 06:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:33:05 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news

Arguably a second runway at Gatwick is more practical and a lot cheaper
than a third at Heathrow. But the former directly affects more tory
voters than the latter.

in seats that they have zero chance of losing, no matter how much they ****
them off

In 2015, 98% of Scottish Labour MPs discovered that doesn't always
work.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old January 15th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15/01/2018 17:33, tim... wrote:

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message

you are Michael Bell AICMFP

Who's that?

Old January 15th 18, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15/01/18 21:19, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 15/01/2018 17:33, tim... wrote:

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
you are Michael Bell AICMFP

Who's that?

Mr. Bell was, until recently, a regular contributor to uk.railway.
He suggested a number of schemes which were financially or technically
unproven. The most notable was an alternative to HS2: a þ (thorn)
shaped route, with stations on a loop of cities which he styled
Ringby, continuing via Middlesbrough to Scotland.
Old January 16th 18, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15/01/2018 17:33, tim... wrote:

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
you are Michael Bell AICMFP

Who's that?

Mr. Bell was, until recently, a regular contributor to uk.railway.
He suggested a number of schemes which were financially or technically
unproven.Â* The most notable was an alternative to HS2: a þ (thorn)
shaped route, with stations on a loop of cities which he styled
Ringby, continuing via Middlesbrough to Scotland.

Ah - that's not me! I just thought that with the absurdly optimistic
claims for the Hyperloop system that we might as well take it to its
full extent and suggest something truly radical for it.