London Banter

-   -   Early DLR aerial shot (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15614-early-dlr-aerial-shot.html)

Recliner[_3_] March 10th 18 04:54 PM

Early DLR aerial shot

I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The undeveloped Greenwich Peninsula is also interesting.

Peter Able[_2_] March 10th 18 07:51 PM

Early DLR aerial shot

"Recliner" wrote in message
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the
skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future
Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The undeveloped Greenwich Peninsula is also interesting.

Many thanks.

The dying days of the Isle of Dogs !

PA

Paul Corfield March 11th 18 10:12 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 16:54:53 UTC, Recliner wrote:
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The undeveloped Greenwich Peninsula is also interesting.

I don't have an aerial shot like that but I have a few photos of the Isle of Dogs in similar state when I had a walk round it in the 1980s. The DLR had progressed a bit when I took my shots as test trains were running. I have yet to scan the photos but they will end up on Flickr at some point. It's one of those classic times when you wish you'd taken oodles of photos given what the place has now become!

--
Paul C
via Google

Recliner[_3_] March 11th 18 10:41 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Yes, very much so. I don't think even the most enthusiastic proponents of
the LDDC could have predicted how it would develop. How easy was it to
wander around the Docklands area back then? Wasn't a lot of it fenced off?
That was one of the frustrations of the Olympic site, which was soon
surrounded by tall blue fences with no view of the transformation occurring
behind. The Greenway View Tube was the only publicly accessible place with
a decent View.

In the digital era, it's era it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

John Williamson March 11th 18 11:23 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

On 11/03/2018 10:41, Recliner wrote:

In the digital era, it's era it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

Yes, when I was using 2 1/4" square slide film,it used to cost almost a
pound every time I clicked the shutter whether the shot worked or not.
Prints cost a fortune....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Basil Jet[_4_] March 11th 18 11:41 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

On 2018\03\11 10:41, Recliner wrote:

In the digital era, it's era it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

Okay, I'll bite. Why would RAW files improve with age?

Recliner[_3_] March 11th 18 12:01 PM

Early DLR aerial shot

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2018\03\11 10:41, Recliner wrote:

In the digital era, it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

Okay, I'll bite. Why would RAW files improve with age?

The software to process them gets steadily better. I can re-process a RAW
file from 10 years ago and produce a significantly better JPEG now than was
possible at the time.

For example, sensors back then were much noisier than today, so even quite
low ISO images had significant noise. Now, much better,
computationally-intense noise reduction while processing RAWs is available.

Theo[_2_] March 11th 18 10:50 PM

Early DLR aerial shot

Paul Corfield wrote:
I don't have an aerial shot like that but I have a few photos of the Isle
of Dogs in similar state when I had a walk round it in the 1980s. The DLR
had progressed a bit when I took my shots as test trains were running. I
have yet to scan the photos but they will end up on Flickr at some point.
It's one of those classic times when you wish you'd taken oodles of photos
given what the place has now become!

Here's roughly the same shot from 1964:
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW130034
(lots more on that site, from 1920s onwards)

Theo

Recliner[_3_] March 12th 18 03:09 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

Theo wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
I don't have an aerial shot like that but I have a few photos of the Isle
of Dogs in similar state when I had a walk round it in the 1980s. The DLR
had progressed a bit when I took my shots as test trains were running. I
have yet to scan the photos but they will end up on Flickr at some point.
It's one of those classic times when you wish you'd taken oodles of photos
given what the place has now become!

Here's roughly the same shot from 1964:
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW130034
(lots more on that site, from 1920s onwards)

Yes, it's interesting to compare the three eras: working docks; derelect
docks+DLR viaduct; and today's completely reinvented, bustling skyscraper
city, with the expanded DLR almost lost in it.

[email protected] March 12th 18 09:58 AM

Early DLR aerial shot

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:54:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Was that a power station on the left towards the top or an incinerator?

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The rate at which they're being filled in the Docklands name will soon become
a misnomer.