London Banter

-   -   So no jubilee line strike after all (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15732-so-no-jubilee-line-strike.html)

[email protected] June 6th 18 09:37 AM

So no jubilee line strike after all

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

Scott June 6th 18 10:01 AM

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

[email protected] June 6th 18 10:10 AM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 11:01:38 +0100
Scott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

Emphasis. Look it up.

Peter Able[_2_] June 6th 18 10:56 AM

So no jubilee line strike after all

"Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 11:34:18 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 12:04:20 +0100
Scott wrote:

wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get
enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save
face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

Emphasis. Look it up.

Conjunction. Look it up.

So what?

As you can see, some words have multiple roles.

I don't think politicians and others on the 'Today' programme starting
every sentence with the word 'so' is one of them.

However, I did not mean to have go at you personally, as a helpful
contributor to multiple groups. It was really intended as a societal
observation.

"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"

Just like Train Station :)

PA

---

[email protected] June 6th 18 11:52 AM

So no jubilee line strike after all

wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

Emphasis. Look it up.

Conjunction. Look it up.

So what?

As you can see, some words have multiple roles.

I don't think politicians and others on the 'Today' programme starting
every sentence with the word 'so' is one of them.

However, I did not mean to have go at you personally, as a helpful
contributor to multiple groups. It was really intended as a societal
observation.

Just one of many grammatical tics we all use from time to time I suppose.
If you stripped english sentences of all the dead wood and filler you could
probably shorten a lot of them by half.

English stripped of dead wood and filler, could probably shorten by half.

Roland Perry June 6th 18 12:57 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

In message , at 11:01:38 on
Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Scott remarked:

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.

It's a shorter version of "I'm glad you asked me that question".

Scott June 6th 18 01:10 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:57:58 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:01:38 on
Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Scott remarked:

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.

MIlliseconds surely?

It's a shorter version of "I'm glad you asked me that question".

But not as good as, 'What the audience really wants to know is ...'.

[email protected] June 6th 18 01:31 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 11:56:22 +0100
.. .

wrote:

[...]

Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.

Graeme Wall June 6th 18 01:40 PM

On 06/06/2018 11:01, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So what if they do?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry June 6th 18 01:52 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

In message , at 14:10:09 on
Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Scott remarked:
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

The give themselves another two seconds to think about what they are
going to say.

MIlliseconds surely?

It's generally separated from the rest of the answer by a significant
pause.

Roland Perry June 6th 18 01:54 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

In message , at 14:40:50 on Wed, 6 Jun 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 06/06/2018 11:01, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get
enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So what if they do?

So annoying though.

Bob June 6th 18 04:01 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:40:50 on Wed, 6 Jun 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:
On 06/06/2018 11:01, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get
enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So what if they do?

So annoying though.

So many people do it, though.

Robin

Roland Perry June 6th 18 04:45 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

In message , at 16:01:46 on Wed, 6 Jun 2018,
bob remarked:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get
enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?
So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So what if they do?

So annoying though.

So many people do it, though.

So it seems.

Guy Gorton[_3_] June 6th 18 06:26 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So I think it is a good idea to confuse the bolshevics who have no
idea of the niceties of the English language.
I must confess, I love my native tongue and its miriad ways of
confusing the less fortunate.

Guy Gorton

Mike Bristow June 6th 18 07:06 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

In article ,
wrote:
Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.

Like, that is tots awsome, though.

--
Mike Bristow

Robin[_4_] June 6th 18 07:53 PM

On 06/06/2018 19:26, Guy Gorton wrote:

So I think it is a good idea to confuse the bolshevics who have no
idea of the niceties of the English language.
I must confess, I love my native tongue and its miriad ways of
confusing the less fortunate.

So nice of you to illustrate what I assume is one of the countless
variations on, or interpretations of, Skitt's law :)

--
Robin

Marland June 6th 18 10:10 PM

wrote:

"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"

Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.

Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
“Know what I mean” , Yes it means you are thick , now **** off.

GH

[email protected] June 7th 18 08:27 AM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On 6 Jun 2018 22:10:40 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:

"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"

Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.

Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
“Know what I mean” , Yes it means you are thick , now **** off.

Very true, however in Kyle land saying a whole 4 words in a row makes you
an intellectual. Far better one should end (and often begin) sentences with
"init" in order not to confuse ones peers.

tim... June 7th 18 12:36 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

wrote in message ...

?oKnow what I mean? , Yes it means you are thick , now **** off.

Very true, however in Kyle land saying a whole 4 words in a row makes you
an intellectual. Far better one should end (and often begin) sentences
with
"init" in order not to confuse ones peers.

isn't it spelt innit?

tim

[email protected] June 7th 18 12:53 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 13:36:06 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 6 Jun 2018 22:10:40 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:

"So ..." in 2018 is the same as "Well ..." in 1918. It is an annoying,
no-benefit, substitution - but nugatory compared to the
oh-so-excrescent
media favourite "existential"

Anything is better than someone who inserts "like" after every 3rd word,
often followed either by "totally" or "awesome". Or both.

Or that utterance that seems to be a favourite with the type of people who
could audition for an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show.
?oKnow what I mean? , Yes it means you are thick , now **** off.

Very true, however in Kyle land saying a whole 4 words in a row makes you
an intellectual. Far better one should end (and often begin) sentences
with
"init" in order not to confuse ones peers.

isn't it spelt innit?

Somehow I suspect the spelling is flexible.

Robin[_4_] June 7th 18 01:08 PM

So no jubilee line strike after all

On 07/06/2018 13:53, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 13:36:06 +0100
"tim..." wrote:

isn't it spelt innit?

Somehow I suspect the spelling is flexible.

The Oxford English Dictionary admits no alternatives to "innit", but
then it has standards even for such nonstandard words.

--
Robin

Basil Jet[_4_] June 8th 18 01:39 AM

On 2018\06\06 14:40, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 06/06/2018 11:01, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:37:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

More empty threats from the RMT or did the lazy bolshevics not get
enough
support from the sane section of their membership and decided to save
face
instead?

So why do people insist on starting sentences with the word 'so'?

So what if they do?

So predictable.

--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(A-F) ... A Certain Ratio - Adam
& The Ants - Altered Images - Art Objects - Artery - Bauhaus - Blurt -