London Banter

-   -   Explosion at Southgate tube station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15767-explosion-southgate-tube-station.html)

[email protected] June 20th 18 10:43 AM

Explosion at Southgate tube station

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:27:48 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:16:46 on Wed, 20 Jun
2018, remarked:
Police arrest London man on suspicion of "act likely to cause explosion"
after small blast at Southgate Tube station

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44547726

Either it was done deliberately or it wasn't, someone needs to make their
mind up.

Deliberate, but not as an act of terrorism, perhaps? For example taping
up a safety cut-out on a tool.

Possibly. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done something stupid too it since
batteries don't generally burst into flames and when the do its when they're
being used. Unless they're in a Tesla.

Basil Jet[_4_] June 20th 18 11:29 AM

On 2018\06\20 11:16, wrote:

Either it was done deliberately or it wasn't, someone needs to make their
mind up.

I'd rather the police gathered evidence before they made their minds up.

--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(G-Q) ... Gang Of Four - Gary
Numan - Glenn Branca - Grace Jones - Heaven 17 - Holger Czukay - Japan -

Charles Ellson[_2_] June 21st 18 04:22 AM

Explosion at Southgate tube station

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 09:04:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at
08:43:19 on Wed, 20 Jun 2018, NY remarked:

Not thought to be terror related.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Station.html

Now reported to be an explosion of a battery in a power tool.

Lithium, presumably.

Or Ni-Cad. Still in older tools and ISTR even some new ones. They used
to occasionally blow up telephones around 30y ago so the larger ones
in power tools should have a fair bit of oomph when they
self-destruct.

Jeremy Double June 21st 18 07:28 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:16:46 on Wed, 20 Jun
2018, remarked:
Police arrest London man on suspicion of "act likely to cause explosion"
after small blast at Southgate Tube station

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44547726

Either it was done deliberately or it wasn't, someone needs to make their
mind up.

Deliberate, but not as an act of terrorism, perhaps? For example taping
up a safety cut-out on a tool.

Possibly. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done something stupid too it
since
batteries don't generally burst into flames and when the do its when
they're
being used. Unless they're in a Tesla.

or a Nokia

Or a Boeing Dreamliner

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boei...ttery_problems )

--
Jeremy Double

Roland Perry June 21st 18 04:52 PM

Explosion at Southgate tube station

In message , at 16:51:49 on Wed, 20 Jun
2018, tim... remarked:

batteries don't generally burst into flames and when the do its when
they're being used. Unless they're in a Tesla.

or a Nokia

The one I heard of was the Galaxy Note 7.

John Williamson June 21st 18 08:55 PM

On 21/06/2018 17:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:51:49 on Wed, 20 Jun
2018, tim... remarked:

batteries don't generally burst into flames and when the do its when
they're* being used. Unless they're in a Tesla.

or a Nokia

The one I heard of was the Galaxy Note 7.

The ones that went viral and prompted a recall a while ago were in
laptop computers made by a corporation named after a fruit that burst
into flames while being charged.

Then there were the others in various makes of Wintel computers which
all used cells from the same factory...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[email protected] June 22nd 18 08:43 AM

Explosion at Southgate tube station

On 21 Jun 2018 07:28:14 GMT
Jeremy Double wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:16:46 on Wed, 20 Jun
2018, remarked:
Police arrest London man on suspicion of "act likely to cause explosion"
after small blast at Southgate Tube station

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44547726

Either it was done deliberately or it wasn't, someone needs to make their
mind up.

Deliberate, but not as an act of terrorism, perhaps? For example taping
up a safety cut-out on a tool.

Possibly. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done something stupid too it
since
batteries don't generally burst into flames and when the do its when
they're
being used. Unless they're in a Tesla.

or a Nokia

Or a Boeing Dreamliner

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boei...ttery_problems )

Apparently the "solution" to that was to put the battery in a stronger more
fire resistent box. Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence, nor IMO does
does the fact that most of the plane is composite when composite failures
have caused a number of airbus rudders to fall off and composites can't be
checked as easily as aluminium for fatique cracking. The 787s might be fine
now but you'd have to be pretty brave to fly in one in 20 years time IMO.