Old July 25th 18, 04:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Crossrail GBP590m over budget

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...033487.article

--
Basil Jet - listening... NEU!. Naked Raygun. Nearly God. Negativland.
Neil Finn. Neil Young. Neils Children. Neroche. Neutral Milk Hotel. New

Old July 25th 18, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 04:12:03 on Wed, 25 Jul
2018, Basil Jet remarked:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...rail/crossrail
-breaks-budget-by-590m/10033487.article

Pushing the funding envelope!

Enquiring minds wish to know whether its launch in December will be
delayed until next May as a result of the timetable-freeze.

ps I note the lowercase "line" in "Elizabeth line".
Old July 25th 18, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...033487.article

No surprise that the rumours of overspends are true, but it's interesting
that the final spend will actually be below the original budget:

Crossrail will come in £590m over its original £14.8bn budget, the
government has confirmed.

…

The first budget agreed for the Crossrail scheme was set at £15.9bn back in
2007.

Following a Comprehensive Spending Review in 2010, this was reduced to
£14.8bn. Of this spend, Crossrail is responsible for £12.5bn of works,
while Network Rail is responsible for £2.3bn

Old July 25th 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:59:20 on Wed, 25 Jul 2018,
Recliner remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...srail/crossrai
l-breaks-budget-by-590m/10033487.article

No surprise that the rumours of overspends are true, but it's interesting
that the final spend will actually be below the original budget:

Is it being built to the original spec, though?

Old July 25th 18, 09:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...srail/crossrai
l-breaks-budget-by-590m/10033487.article

No surprise that the rumours of overspends are true, but it's interesting
that the final spend will actually be below the original budget:

Is it being built to the original spec, though?

I'm not aware of anything that's been dropped or cut back. And the route
has been extended, from Maidenhead to Reading.

As an aside, although I'll be a beneficiary of the generosity, I can't see
a good reason for London Freedom Pass holders to get free travel all the
way to Reading. It seems to be an unnecessary give-away.

Old July 25th 18, 09:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25/07/18 09:01, Recliner wrote:

As an aside, although I'll be a beneficiary of the generosity, I can't see
a good reason for London Freedom Pass holders to get free travel all the
way to Reading. It seems to be an unnecessary give-away.

I'm happy with that too? But it reminds me of a question I've not had
clearly answered.
Last time I travelled from Stanmore (LU) to Gatwick Airport the ticket
machine said my Travelcard (actually a Freedom Pass) was valid to the
airport, but the staff said I would still need to buy an extension
ticket somewhere. Will my Freedom Pass now open the gates at Gatwick?

MikeR

Old July 25th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mike Roberts wrote:
On 25/07/18 09:01, Recliner wrote:

As an aside, although I'll be a beneficiary of the generosity, I can't see
a good reason for London Freedom Pass holders to get free travel all the
way to Reading. It seems to be an unnecessary give-away.

I'm happy with that too? But it reminds me of a question I've not had
clearly answered.
Last time I travelled from Stanmore (LU) to Gatwick Airport the ticket
machine said my Travelcard (actually a Freedom Pass) was valid to the
airport, but the staff said I would still need to buy an extension
ticket somewhere. Will my Freedom Pass now open the gates at Gatwick?

It's certainly not valid to Gatwick. You do need an extension ticket (or a
single from East Croydon — they cost the same). I'm not sure if extension
tickets can now be purchased from LU ticket machines, but I've been told
they are available from LO ticket machines (I've not put it to the test).

Old July 25th 18, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 07:16:12 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
Enquiring minds wish to know whether its launch in December will be
delayed until next May as a result of the timetable-freeze.

I thought the bit of Crossrail that is scheduled to begin in December
is on dedicated track so doesn't need to coordinate a timetable change
with the rest of the network anymore than the Waterloo & City does.
Old July 25th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 07:16:12 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
Enquiring minds wish to know whether its launch in December will be
delayed until next May as a result of the timetable-freeze.

I thought the bit of Crossrail that is scheduled to begin in December
is on dedicated track so doesn't need to coordinate a timetable change
with the rest of the network anymore than the Waterloo & City does.

I think that's correct. The only new track to open will be the central
core, accessed only by Abbey Wood trains.

Old July 25th 18, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 25/07/2018 09:43, Recliner wrote:

but I've been told
they are available from LO ticket machines (I've not put it to the test).

Yep, the "new" (couple of years ago?) LO machines sell tickets from
Boundary Zone 6 (or 5,4,...) to ....

--
Robin