London Banter

-   -   Wasted space in 313 cabs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/16047-wasted-space-313-cabs.html)

[email protected] September 21st 18 09:31 AM

Wasted space in 313 cabs

The door to a middle cab compartment was open in our 313 this morning on GN.
I'd never really notice quite how large the area is. It must be 8 or 9 feet
deep with the actual driving position a little cupboard with a door. The rest
of the space was empty. I realise the 313s were built a long time ago back when
passenger numbers were probably much lower, but what was the thinking behind
having so much dead space in a train? Even if it was a full width and depth cab
to current standards you could still probably fit 8 or 10 seats in the space
left over not to mention standing room.

Xeno September 21st 18 10:14 AM

Wasted space in 313 cabs

On 21/9/18 7:31 pm, wrote:
The door to a middle cab compartment was open in our 313 this morning on GN.
I'd never really notice quite how large the area is. It must be 8 or 9 feet
deep with the actual driving position a little cupboard with a door. The rest
of the space was empty. I realise the 313s were built a long time ago back when
passenger numbers were probably much lower, but what was the thinking behind
having so much dead space in a train? Even if it was a full width and depth cab
to current standards you could still probably fit 8 or 10 seats in the space
left over not to mention standing room.

Parcel carriage in times gone by perhaps?

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

[email protected] September 21st 18 11:22 AM

Wasted space in 313 cabs

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:14:00 +1000
Xeno wrote:
On 21/9/18 7:31 pm, wrote:
The door to a middle cab compartment was open in our 313 this morning on GN.
I'd never really notice quite how large the area is. It must be 8 or 9 feet
deep with the actual driving position a little cupboard with a door. The rest

of the space was empty. I realise the 313s were built a long time ago back

when
passenger numbers were probably much lower, but what was the thinking behind
having so much dead space in a train? Even if it was a full width and depth

cab
to current standards you could still probably fit 8 or 10 seats in the space
left over not to mention standing room.

Parcel carriage in times gone by perhaps?

That would make sense, or for bikes too maybe.

Clive D.W. Feather September 22nd 18 10:59 PM

Wasted space in 313 cabs

In article , writes
The door to a middle cab compartment was open in our 313 this morning on GN.
I'd never really notice quite how large the area is. It must be 8 or 9 feet
deep with the actual driving position a little cupboard with a door. The rest
of the space was empty. I realise the 313s were built a long time ago back when
passenger numbers were probably much lower, but what was the thinking behind
having so much dead space in a train?

If I remember correctly, it's standing room and exit space; the doors
there can be used by the public. I thought that if two units are coupled
the connecting doors can be opened to allow passengers through, though I
could be wrong.

At least once I boarded a 313 at Finsbury Park through those front
doors; it was so crowded the driver let us come right up to the front
and look out of the window on the run to Moorgate.

--
Clive D.W. Feather