London Banter

-   -   Strange train at Peckham Rye this morning (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/16253-strange-train-peckham-rye-morning.html)

David Cantrell November 6th 18 11:44 AM

Strange train at Peckham Rye this morning

I saw this (well, I think it was this) running through Peckham Rye this
morning:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...11/06/advanced

It consisted of a diesel locomotive, a bunch of freight wagons, some
fancy modern passenger stock, then more freight wagons. What on earth
was it, and why the bizarre mixture?

There's no problem so complex that it can't be solved
by killing everyone even remotely associated with it

Recliner[_3_] November 6th 18 12:24 PM

David Cantrell wrote:
I saw this (well, I think it was this) running through Peckham Rye this
morning:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...11/06/advanced

It consisted of a diesel locomotive, a bunch of freight wagons, some
fancy modern passenger stock, then more freight wagons. What on earth
was it, and why the bizarre mixture?

That's a pretty normal way of delivering new trains. The freight wagons are
for coupling the passenger train to the loco(s) and also to provide
braking.

Graham Harrison[_4_] November 6th 18 03:18 PM

Strange train at Peckham Rye this morning

On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 11:44:57 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

I saw this (well, I think it was this) running through Peckham Rye this
morning:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...11/06/advanced

It consisted of a diesel locomotive, a bunch of freight wagons, some
fancy modern passenger stock, then more freight wagons. What on earth
was it, and why the bizarre mixture?

The "fancy modern passenger stock" is a class 802. Designed by
Hitachi plan A was to build all the 800/1/2 trains at the new plant in
the NE of the UK. That ran out of capacity so the 802s are built in
Pistoia in Italy and then hauled across Europe and through the tunnel.

Until it's been commissioned here in the UK the brakes can't be used
and the brake force of a locomotive alone is insufficient hence the
use of "barriers" to provide braking - they usually run the control
lines along the outside of the train from the front barriers to the
rear. The barriers are old, repurposed, stock and I've seen
passenger carriages as well as old tank wagons used.

David Cantrell November 7th 18 12:00 PM

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 03:18:45PM +0000, Graham Harrison wrote:

Until it's been commissioned here in the UK the brakes can't be used
and the brake force of a locomotive alone is insufficient hence the
use of "barriers" to provide braking ...

Thanks.

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law XI