London Banter

-   -   Not Allowed To Use Pre-Pay Oyster For A Paper Ticket At Ticket Office? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1628-not-allowed-use-pre-pay.html)

JGG April 15th 04 09:53 PM

Not Allowed To Use Pre-Pay Oyster For A Paper Ticket At Ticket Office?

At Uxbridge station this morning I tried to buy an off-peak one day
travelcard at the ticket office using pre-pay stored on my Oystercard.

I was told that this was "no longer allowed" and in the end handed over some
cash instead.

Was this a rogue incident or now common practice? If the latter does anyone
know why?

John.

Steve Fitzgerald April 16th 04 09:56 AM

Not Allowed To Use Pre-Pay Oyster For A Paper Ticket At Ticket Office?

In message , JGG
writes
At Uxbridge station this morning I tried to buy an off-peak one day
travelcard at the ticket office using pre-pay stored on my Oystercard.

I was told that this was "no longer allowed" and in the end handed over some
cash instead.

Was this a rogue incident or now common practice? If the latter does anyone
know why?

There is a note to this effect in the latest traffic circular,
apparently until 'later in 2004'. I have no idea why though.

Rupert Candy April 16th 04 12:04 PM

"JGG" wrote in message ...
At Uxbridge station this morning I tried to buy an off-peak one day
travelcard at the ticket office using pre-pay stored on my Oystercard.

I was told that this was "no longer allowed" and in the end handed over some
cash instead.

Was this a rogue incident or now common practice? If the latter does anyone
know why?

delurk

There's an official-looking (ie permanent) sticker on the multifare
machine at Farringdon saying the same (but without an explanation!)

Incidentally, I was very disappointed the first time I bought a ODTC
using Prepay balance and was issued with a paper ticket - seemed very
low-tech...