Old May 4th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nearest Tube to Greenwich

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
That would be East India.

How close is that? I know where I work is somewhere like 0'0"007 E, and
that is about 3/4 mile from East India station.

Pretty close (my mapping software has it within 100yds). The Meridian is
alleged to pass through Telehouse, which is close to the station (if a
little to the East).

Old May 5th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 May 2004 at 20:55:40, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Annabel
Smyth writes
That would be East India.

How close is that? I know where I work is somewhere like 0'0"007 E, and
that is about 3/4 mile from East India station.

It's actually 0:00:29, apparently.

Pretty close (my mapping software has it within 100yds). The Meridian
is alleged to pass through Telehouse, which is close to the station (if a
little to the East).

I don't think I know Telehouse. But I reckon I can tell exactly where I
cross the Meridian when I go that way.... just about where my boss
dropped me off this evening, as he gave me a lift to the station.

Anybody know where the Jubilee line crosses the Meridian on its way to
Canning Town - it couldn't be right under the Thames, could it?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old May 5th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes

Anybody know where the Jubilee line crosses the Meridian on its way to
Canning Town - it couldn't be right under the Thames, could it?

No, it would be just before arriving at North Greenwich when coming from
Canary Wharf, since the Prime Meridian runs up the west side of the
North Greenwich peninsula.

I wonder if there is any sort of marker in the tunnel? There is
certainly a meridian marker on the DLR, between East India and Canning
Town. Photo at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dodger/beckton.htm

--
Paul Terry
Old May 5th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Annabel Smyth
writes
How close is that? I know where I work is somewhere like 0'0"007 E, and
that is about 3/4 mile from East India station.

There used to be a green line painted across the DLR just east of East
India, marking the Meridian.

Other line crossings:

Jubilee: just west of North Greenwich, and again immediately south of
Stratford.

District/Hammersmith: just west of West Ham, about where the old Abbey
Curve branched off.

Central: between Leyton and Leytonstone, slightly nearer the former.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 5th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
I don't think I know Telehouse.

It's the big grey building just east of the travelodge.

Old May 6th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote (re the Greenwich Meridian):

Ian Jelf writes:
There was apparently a desire to name one of the DLR stations after it
but it wasn't deemed to be close enough.

That would be East India.

But surely its even further away from eastern India?

gd&r

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 6th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote:

Is there anywhere else on the London transport (with a small "t") system
where the Prime Meridian is marked?

There is a plaque in the ground, showing the line of the Meridian, next to
the northbound route 97 bus stop opposite Chingford Police Station. This is
a few hundred metres from the obelisk on top of Pole Hill, which sits on the
Meridian and was once used to line up the transept instrument at the
Greenwich observatory.

I'm told that there is another such plaque at Higham's Park broadway (close
to the station), but have never gone looking for it.

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 7th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 May 2004 at 19:04:25, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Annabel
Smyth writes

Anybody know where the Jubilee line crosses the Meridian on its way to
Canning Town - it couldn't be right under the Thames, could it?

No, it would be just before arriving at North Greenwich when coming
from Canary Wharf, since the Prime Meridian runs up the west side of
the North Greenwich peninsula.

Thanks.

I wonder if there is any sort of marker in the tunnel? There is certainly a
meridian marker on the DLR, between East India and Canning Town.
Photo at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dodger/beckton.htm

Ah - now I know exactly where it is! I'll have to take the DLR between
those two stations one day next week (I don't normally bother - it's 15
minutes' walk from one station and 20 from the other, so not worth it)
so I can see the line. Thanks.

Old May 7th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 May 2004 at 13:33:22, MetroGnome
wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote:

Is there anywhere else on the London transport (with a small "t") system
where the Prime Meridian is marked?

There is a plaque in the ground, showing the line of the Meridian, next to
the northbound route 97 bus stop opposite Chingford Police Station. This is
a few hundred metres from the obelisk on top of Pole Hill, which sits on the
Meridian and was once used to line up the transept instrument at the
Greenwich observatory.

I'm told that there is another such plaque at Higham's Park broadway (close
to the station), but have never gone looking for it.

Not on the LT system, but I've certainly seen a plaque when driving
along the south coast at Peacehaven, near Newhaven.