Old May 8th 04, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default travelling in london for tourists/travelcard

In message , Roland Perry
writes

In message , Peter Smyth
writes
It seems all the London-bound trains are operated by South Central,
anyway.

Actually there are two TOC's at Leatherhead, South West Trains to Waterloo
and South Central to Victoria.

The SWT trains ones must be consistently slower than SC, then

No, the SWT service from Dorking is generally about 10 minutes faster
than SC. The SWT service from Guildford (which stops at more inner
suburban stations) is about the same as the SC.

- they don't appear on the Railtrack planner if you ask for a journey
to London.

I suspect you were looking for travel today (Saturday) - in which case
you wouldn't have seen any SWT times from Leatherhead since the Dorking
line is one of the many suspended services due to ongoing engineering
works around Vauxhall, while the Guildford service is terminating at
Wimbledon.

--
Paul Terry

Old May 8th 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default travelling in london for tourists/travelcard - photocard not needed

What you need to do is go to www.ticketsto.com and buy a 6 zone Visitors
Travelcard. This will save you a few bucks and you don't need a photo
card. Visitors Travelcards can only be purchased outside the UK.

6 zone, 7 day, adult is $69 plus shipping.

Enjoy London! I wish I was going back this year.

- Mark

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:51:39 -0400, "S. Sen"
wrote:

Hi,

My wife and I will be travelling to London from Philadelphia and plan to
make extensive use of the public transportation system while there. We
will be there for 7 days. We will be staying at Leatherhead, Surrey
which I understand is Zone 6. Thus, we would be coming into the city
proper each day and going back fairly late in the evening.

I would be most grateful if anyone would answer these questions for us...

1. What kind of pass should we get? After scouting around, it seems it
is the weekly travelcard allowing travel across all 6 zones?
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...s-period.shtml

2. If the above is true, how do I get a 'photocard', as the site
mentioned above says we need for a weekly travelcard? It is too late for
me to get a visitor travelcard mailed to us - we are leaving in 24
hours. Is one issued on the spot? Can non UK residents get it? Is there
a office at Heathrow issuing such photocards and travelcards?

3. If weekly travelcard is not an option, what is our best bet?

4. Is public transportation fairly safe? Late in the evening?

Many thanks.

Old May 8th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes
I suspect you were looking for travel today (Saturday)

That explains it!!
Old May 8th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark A. Meggs
writes
What you need to do is go to www.ticketsto.com and buy a 6 zone Visitors
Travelcard. This will save you a few bucks and you don't need a photo
card. Visitors Travelcards can only be purchased outside the UK.

6 zone, 7 day, adult is $69 plus shipping.

But not if, as the OP said, they left the USA yesterday...
Old May 8th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 May 2004 at 08:21:38, Mark A. Meggs
wrote:

What you need to do is go to www.ticketsto.com and buy a 6 zone Visitors
Travelcard. This will save you a few bucks and you don't need a photo
card. Visitors Travelcards can only be purchased outside the UK.

6 zone, 7 day, adult is $69 plus shipping.

And the same ticket, purchased in London on arrival, costs the same, but
without the additional shipping charges. And you do need a photocard,
but that's free!

However, a one week Zones 1-2 Travelcard (which is probably all you need
once you have a day return to Victoria) only costs £20.20, which
converts to around $36. And a zone 1-3, which really covers all the
zones you could possibly need, except the return to Heathrow, costs
£23.80, which converts to $43. Plus a daily return ticket to
Leatherhead, which can be had for as little as £6.00 ($10) per day,
although usually a little more.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004