Old May 14th 04, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Help with choice of London-Airport transfers

I'd just stay on the M4/A4 all the way along to Cromwell Road, then cut
up Exhibition Road, in to the park, R along South Carriage Drive, up
Park Lane, R in to Brook Gate, L Park Street and we're there!.

However, I would be listening to the local traffic news and I then have
alternatives via Chiswick High Road, (usually from Chiswick Lane of the
Hogarth roundabout), Hammersmith Bridge Road (beside the flyover), etc
most of which have bus lanes that I can use.

That's the advantage of doing the 'knowledge', it does give you several
options if traffic becomes difficult.

Yep, very true. Recently, coming into the West End on the A4, I've stuck on
the A4 and basically used one of any number of cut-throughs to avoid the
queuing up to Scotch House on the A4 by cutting up to Kensington Road.
Depending on how busy the traffic is, I've either turned left onto Grenville
Place, up Southwell Gardens onto Gloucester Road, then up to Queen's Gate
via Queens Gate Gardens/Place or Queen's Gate Terrace, or the one in between
those two, then up onto Queen's Gate, down Prince Consort Road, left onto
Exhibition Road, then a sneaky u-turn, and left onto Prince's
Gardens/Ennismore Gardens, then left at the end and right at the lights onto
Kensington Road (*much* less waiting than at Exhibition Road, and vans can't
go through Hyde Park). Brilliant little shortcut, with the advantage of
being able to join it at any point dependent on traffic on the A4, and I've
never been in a queue of more than 3 or 4 getting onto the A4 at
Kingstbridge.

Peter

Old May 14th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , AstraVanMan
writes
[...]

You don't need top do that any more. It is now legal to turn right from
Exhibition Rd in to Kensington Rd to go E - much easier as it's light
controlled.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old May 14th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Err, well it is light controlled, but it still involves waiting for about
20-30 cars going from Hyde Park to Exhibition Road before you can turn
right, and then hoping you're in the first one or two able to turn right
before the lights go red (I can't remember if there's a right turn filter
there or not) - I've tried both recently and would definitely say that the
Ennismore Gardens route is far easier (and there was an empty cab in front
of me taking that route as well, so I'm not the only one :-).

Peter