Old March 3rd 16, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Spoilt by choice - connections

"The Paris system has 78 such choice points. The New York subway, the
most complex in the world, has 161. New York's system is so sprawling
and interconnected,*Barthelemy and colleagues*Riccardo Gallotti*and
Mason Porter concluded in a recent analysis, that it approaches the
maximum complexity our human minds can handle, the equivalent of about
8 bits of information."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-human-mind/

E.

Old March 3rd 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 2016030313144122058-email@domaincom, at 13:14:41 on Thu, 3
Mar 2016, eastender remarked:
"The Paris system has 78 such choice points. The New York subway, the
most complex in the world, has 161. New York's system is so sprawling
and interconnected,*Barthelemy and colleagues*Riccardo Gallotti*and
Mason Porter concluded in a recent analysis, that it approaches the
maximum complexity our human minds can handle, the equivalent of about
8 bits of information."

What a strange way to describe it. What he really means is solving
problems with more than 256 nodes.

I reject the theory completely, not just because people do in fact cope
with much more (how many destinations and junctions comprise "The
Knowledge" for example), but because when you look at something such as
a complex tube map you immediately rule out up to 90% of the map as
being "out of bounds".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nsit-systems-a
re-growing-too-complex-for-the-human-mind/

Old March 3rd 16, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\03\03 13:14, eastender wrote:
"The Paris system has 78 such choice points. The New York subway, the
most complex in the world, has 161. New York's system is so sprawling
and interconnected, Barthelemy and colleagues Riccardo Gallotti and
Mason Porter concluded in a recent analysis, that it approaches the
maximum complexity our human minds can handle, the equivalent of about 8
bits of information."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-human-mind/

Thanks for posting, but...

That may be the most inaccurate meaningless pseudo-intellectual tosh
about transit I've ever heard. Planning a journey involves global
problems and local problems and the map has to be designed to help you
with both. There is no way the ability to do this can be ascertained
from a single numeral that doesn't even pertain to the map design. And
as a simple proof, imagine a city in a valley with one main line down
the middle and a thousand rack railways perpendicular to the mainline.
Lots of junctions, no complexity. Even if adjacent rack railways met at
their high points, so the mainline had triangles all down either side,
still zero problem navigating.

This map has fewer interchanges than the standard tube map because the
DLR and Overground are missing, but it's far harder to plan a journey on
it (and not just because they've screwed up Edgware Road.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fdansv...n/photostream/
Old March 3rd 16, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:14:41 +0000
eastender wrote:
"The Paris system has 78 such choice points. The New York subway, the
most complex in the world, has 161. New York's system is so sprawling
and interconnected,*Barthelemy and colleagues*Riccardo Gallotti*and
Mason Porter concluded in a recent analysis, that it approaches the
maximum complexity our human minds can handle, the equivalent of about
8 bits of information."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...stems-are-grow
ng-too-complex-for-the-human-mind/

Just wait until more Overground lines are added to the tube map if TfL takes
over some south london lines.

--
Spud

Old March 9th 16, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 03:18:55PM +0000, d wrote:

Just wait until more Overground lines are added to the tube map if TfL takes
over some south london lines.

The Overground maps are only hard to make sense of because of the
idiotic choice to make all the seperate routes the same colour:
http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Revi...Jan%202016.jpg

We need different colours for (at least):
* Liverpool St to anywhere (and that possibly needs splitting as well)
* Richmond and Clapham Junction to Stratford;
* Euston to Watford;
* Goblin;
* Clapham Junction to Highbury;
* West Croydon (and New Cross, and Crystal Palace) to Highbury

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

Eye have a spelling chequer / It came with my pea sea
It planely marques four my revue / Miss Steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word / And weight for it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write / It shows me strait a weigh.