London Banter

-   -   When the software meets the hardware (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17456-when-software-meets-hardware.html)

blt_bFdmu@um3_7e7j1sl1p.gov January 29th 19 07:34 PM

When the software meets the hardware

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:49:31 -0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

You'll understand when you're older.

I do hope not.

Marland January 29th 19 10:41 PM

wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:49:31 -0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

You'll understand when you're older.

I do hope not.

Be careful what you wish for.
The way things are going you might have bigger worries by the time you
reach those sort of ages ,
Too expensive for the state to keep aged bodies going in a couple of
decades so you pay yourself or peg it like back in the 19th century unless
you have taken out a good and costly health care package.
And even if you can obtain that do you think it will be available for your
children spending most of their income
on accommodation for most of their lives.

So far I can still if necessary not go for more than 12 hours and I’m in my
sixth decade, the people I’ve known
that start to have serious problems have been late 70’s to 90’s.
That just happens to be the same age bracket that some should be encouraged
to stop driving or actually have their licence taken away .

That means they would not be in a position to do what you suggest and drive
along A roads if they need frequent toilet breaks though I suppose there
is an outside chance the self driving car may be reality in a couple of
decades.

GH

Charles Ellson[_2_] January 30th 19 01:08 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 09:34:29 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:33:11 +0000
Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 10:19:27 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:51:26 +0000
Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:42:37 +0000 (UTC),

wrote:

On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female

whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

Stayed at home in the absence of suitable facilities or supplies? It
still happens now - Google for "period poverty".

Google tampons and sanitary towels.

https://plan-uk.org/media-centre/1-i...o-afford-sanit
ary-wear-survey-finds

But I bet their parents can still afford the Sky subscription and fags.

You are IDS AICMFP.

Roland Perry January 30th 19 07:18 AM

When the software meets the hardware

In message , at 23:41:04 on Tue, 29
Jan 2019, Marland remarked:
If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

You'll understand when you're older.

I do hope not.

Be careful what you wish for.

I wish people would:
___________________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please don't |
/ O O\__ feed |
/ \ the trolls |
/ \ \ |
/ _ \ \ ----------------------
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

[email protected] January 30th 19 09:13 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On 29 Jan 2019 23:41:04 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:49:31 -0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

You'll understand when you're older.

I do hope not.

Be careful what you wish for.
The way things are going you might have bigger worries by the time you
reach those sort of ages ,

Yes, but I suspect not the sort you're thinking of. The way climate change
is going I dread to think of the state things will be in in 30 years time.

along A roads if they need frequent toilet breaks though I suppose there
is an outside chance the self driving car may be reality in a couple of
decades.

Maybe, but I have my doubts. The technology is way over hyped and can't cope
away from the nice wide straight roads of north america.

David Cantrell January 30th 19 09:18 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 09:37:40AM +0000, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
I never said they did. I guess a fair number of people make 4-5 hour
journeys though.

Maybe once in a blue moon.

Individually that might be true, but there's enough of 'em that you can
expect there to be plenty of people doing it on every long distance
train.

Aluminum makes a nice hat.
All paranoids will tell you that.
But what most do not know
Is reflections will show
On the CIA's evil landsat.

David Cantrell January 30th 19 09:29 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:50:16AM +0000, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:45:59 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
I hope for your sake you never have to travel between London and
Hastings with a small child, or while elderly, or while pregnant, or
while drunk. You get plenty of day-trippers doing that as well as

I have no sympathy for drunks and they wouldn't use the toilet anyway.

I'll have you know that I have *never* ****ed myself, or got my knob out
and ****ed all over a train, while drunk. But I've travelled zillions of
times after having a few beers.

I, like you, have no sympathy for those who are completely ****faced,
but the number of people who travel after having had a few is vast.

commuters. That's 1h45-ish. London to Bristol is about the same.

If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

And what treatment would the doctor recommend for someone whose
"illness" is childhood, pregnancy, or being old? Indeed, needing a ****
more often than normal is a side-effect of several medical treatments.
Should the doctor tell his patients "don't take your drugs, just die"?

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Immigration: making Britain great since AD43

Sam Wilson January 30th 19 09:30 AM

On 2019-01-29 09:37:40 +0000, said:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

The toilets on Le Shuttle aren’t a great example to compare things to.
They’re disgusting. Clarkson was right to **** in a bottle.

TBH I don't see the purpose of them either. The journey is only 45 mins.

You've just driven down the M20, rushing to get to your shuttle on
time, and when you make it you relax and need a pee. Makes sense to me.

FTAOD I've never been on Le Shuttle and therefore have no experience of
their tiolets, but from the description I'd guess people who use
wheelchairs don't use them at all, unless "normal doors" includes ones
that open outwards, in which case you've just created a potentially
wasted space outside the tiolet which needs to be kept clear for anyone
to use it.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

David Cantrell January 30th 19 09:31 AM

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 08:34:30PM +0000, Mrs. Invalid-Address wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:49:31 -0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
If someone can't hold it for that length of time then they need to see a
doctor.

You'll understand when you're older.

I do hope not.

I hope you do. I wouldn't wish that level of mental deterioriation on
anyone. Partly because I don't wish you ill, partly because it's
unpleasant to be near someone who has ****ed himself.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE

Anna Noyd-Dryver January 31st 19 02:33 AM

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

The toilets on Le Shuttle aren’t a great example to compare things to.
They’re disgusting. Clarkson was right to **** in a bottle.

TBH I don't see the purpose of them either. The journey is only 45 mins.

You've just driven down the M20, rushing to get to your shuttle on
time, and when you make it you relax and need a pee. Makes sense to me.

FTAOD I've never been on Le Shuttle and therefore have no experience of
their tiolets, but from the description I'd guess people who use
wheelchairs don't use them at all, unless "normal doors" includes ones
that open outwards, in which case you've just created a potentially
wasted space outside the tiolet which needs to be kept clear for anyone
to use it.

The Le Shuttle car carriages are either single or double deck. Usually one
half of each train is double and one half single. On both types there’s a
narrow 'pavement' down the sides of the 'roadway'.

On the double deck carriages, there’s a toilet underneath the stairs in
every third carriage. On single deck trains there are two toilets in each
of the end carriages. They’re narrow due to location and my recollection of
them is filthy, stinky and disgusting.

They’re not wheelchair accessible due to lack of width, and also you
wouldn’t be able to get there from your car unless you happened to be
parked right next to the toilet.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0a/8d/8d/98/eurotunnel-le-shuttle.jpg

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Arthur Figgis January 31st 19 05:55 PM

When the software meets the hardware

On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:08:00 +0000
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 28/01/2019 12:10, wrote:
On 28 Jan 2019 10:19:40 +0000 (GMT)
Jonathan Amery wrote:

You must go to some fairly boring places for holiday.

Nothing boring about Europe.

Frankfurt is a thing in Europe.

(thinking of the /M version... I've only ever passed through /O, which
for all I know might be like Barcelona on a bank holiday Friday when
someone is offering free beer)

I've been to the business Frankfurt once. It was enough for one lifetime tbh.
Clean, efficient, friendly (for germany) but totally and utterly boring as hell.

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Basil Jet[_4_] February 3rd 19 12:22 PM

On 31/01/2019 18:55, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

It's a long way to go just to see Croydon!
I hope he at least took in Purley as well.

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
What by Bruce

Arthur Figgis February 3rd 19 04:45 PM

On 03/02/2019 13:22, Basil Jet wrote:
On 31/01/2019 18:55, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

It's a long way to go just to see Croydon!
I hope he at least took in Purley as well.

Wimbledon, Elmers End and New Addington (being a clue as to why Croydon).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK