London Banter

-   -   Class 345 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17659-class-345-a.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] June 3rd 19 03:10 AM

Class 345

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Slug - 2015 - Ripe

Anna Noyd-Dryver June 3rd 19 09:07 AM

Class 345

Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Highlighting a major destination along the way? Similarly most XC trains
are displayed on the departure boards at Bristol as "via Birmingham".

Think of it more as "Train to Stratford which then continues to Shenfield"
rather than "Train to Shenfield via Stratford rather than some other way".

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Certes June 3rd 19 10:39 AM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Roland Perry June 3rd 19 11:14 AM

Class 345

In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

Graeme Wall June 3rd 19 11:27 AM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
Â*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
AfterÂ* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
Â*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.Â* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Marland June 3rd 19 12:18 PM

Class 345

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 03/06/2019 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
Â*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
AfterÂ* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
Â*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.Â* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

I was part hoping that it would be the shed as as translated to foreign.

Shed Stock Hall Stockel

GH

Graeme Wall June 3rd 19 12:59 PM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 13:18, Marland wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Absolutely stockel reason why it should be.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry June 3rd 19 01:50 PM

Class 345

In message , at 12:27:00 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".

David Cantrell June 3rd 19 03:06 PM

Class 345

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:10:15AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

People from my sort of background needed grammar schools to
compete with children from privileged homes like ... Tony Benn
-- Margaret Thatcher

Rolf Mantel June 3rd 19 03:38 PM

Class 345

Am 03.06.2019 um 15:50 schrieb Roland Perry:
Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".

He have the same false labels in Germany as well, e.g. "Mannheim" for
"Germersheim via Mannheim but if you want to go to Germersheim, please
take the direct train on the other platform"

Roland Perry June 3rd 19 07:11 PM

Class 345

In message , at 16:06:20
on Mon, 3 Jun 2019, David Cantrell remarked:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:10:15AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Just like people can't place an irrelevant little town (with a similarly
important role as a railway junction/terminus) in Wiltshire called
Westbury?

Bryan Morris June 4th 19 02:44 AM

Class 345

In message , David
Cantrell writes

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"
--
Bryan Morris

Graeme Wall June 4th 19 08:22 AM

Class 345

On 04/06/2019 03:44, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"

Is the Two Puddings still there?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Bryan Morris June 4th 19 09:40 AM

Class 345

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
On 04/06/2019 03:44, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"

Is the Two Puddings still there?

Nope http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/e...opuddings.html

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)
--
Bryan Morris

Graeme Wall June 4th 19 10:25 AM

Class 345

On 04/06/2019 10:40, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Graeme Wall
writes
On 04/06/2019 03:44, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"

Is the Two Puddings still there?

Nope http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/e...opuddings.html

Another bit of my disreputable past gone!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Mike Bristow June 4th 19 10:25 AM

Class 345

In article ,
Bryan Morris wrote:
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

Pre '65, all of those stations (and Stratford) were in Essex.

London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)

They're old and tied to the past.

--
Mike Bristow

Bryan Morris June 4th 19 10:46 AM

Class 345

In message , Mike Bristow
writes
In article ,
Bryan Morris wrote:
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

Pre '65, all of those stations (and Stratford) were in Essex.

Outside the LCC area but like Tottenham (in Middlesex) and south of the
Thames (in Surrey) had London Post Codes.
--
Bryan Morris

Roland Perry June 4th 19 11:18 AM

Class 345

In message , at 10:40:51 on Tue, 4 Jun
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

Back in the day, Straford was were people regarded London as starting.
Perhaps because while still in Essex (until 1965) it was a County
Borough and hence felt more like a part of what was to become Greater
London, than its neighbour Ilford which was merely an Urban District
under the wing of Essex County Council.

Post 1965, for a while many people still thought of Romford as a market
town in Essex, although the continuous built up area as far as the Green
Belt (Harold Wood) tended to reinforce the perception it was thoroughly
London.

Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.

Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

Graeme Wall June 4th 19 11:28 AM

Class 345

On 04/06/2019 12:18, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Basil Jet[_4_] June 4th 19 12:43 PM

Class 345

On 04/06/2019 12:28, Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Quite: there are public buildings with Brentwood in the name east of
Shenfield station.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Julian Cope - Floored Genius 2.. Best Of The BBC Sessions 1983-91

Roland Perry June 4th 19 02:53 PM

Class 345

In message , at 12:28:42 on Tue, 4 Jun 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.
Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

While not using that exact phrase, they have long corrected people who
attribute them as "Brentwood" residents. Unless of course they live on
the posh private estate in Shenfield (it's a bit like St Georges Hill in
Weybridge) when they might say "Hutton Mount [actually]".

Roland Perry June 4th 19 03:03 PM

Class 345

In message , at 13:43:47 on Tue, 4 Jun 2019,
Basil Jet remarked:

Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

Quite: there are public buildings with Brentwood in the name east of
Shenfield station.

Fewer than are west of Hove station with "Brighton" in the name.

David Cantrell June 6th 19 09:27 AM

Class 345

On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 10:40:51AM +0100, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Graeme Wall
writes
On 04/06/2019 03:44, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham ...

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)

What on earth are you babbling about? I said that people *would* know
about Stratford and not about Shenfield.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

All principles of gravity are negated by fear
-- Cartoon Law IV

Robin9 June 7th 19 08:29 AM

There is no station on the Central Line called Woodford Green.
The station is called South Woodford and many moons ago was
called George Lane. Woodford Green itself, one of the best
village greens in London, is up the hill from Woodford Station.