Old July 17th 19, 09:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train wascovering for brother

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:31:47 on
Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Charles Ellson remarked:
What's the desire for a removeable battery these days? I get that
batteries die progressively after a couple of years or more, but until
then portable power banks are higher capacity and more flexible (you
can use them with multiple things!) than a spare battery.

I suppose if there was a thin power bank I could superglue to the back
of a phone, and have an unobtrusive permanently connected cable, that
might just substitute for having a phone where I can change a normal
battery in under a minute.

But I suspect that the power bank wouldn't do a pass-through for
connecting to the phone's internal storage. How do you suggest fixing
that?

Clip-on/piggy-back power banks with USB pass through are available but
you're probably stuffed if you haven't got an iPhone or a Samsung
Galaxy.

Now you mention it, I did once have a case for a smartphone that had
power bank integrated, which meant having a pass-through connector. But
the battery inside that died very quickly (a matter of months). The fact
they are so rare makes me think there's something systemically wrong
with them.

Is it also perhaps because the backs of phones increasingly have buttons
and camera lenses/flashes and so on - which would tend to get obscured
unless the case had exactly the correct cut-outs in it.

The case has to be designed to fit the size, shape and connectors of the
phone anyway; putting holes in the right place for camera, microphone,
speaker etc isn’t rocket science. Plain cases for every variety of phone
manage it, so do the powered cases.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old July 17th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/07/2019 09:05, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, they all have one or more camera lenses and flash, and often the
fingerprint reader too. Plus, most people wouldn't want such a clumsy
device anyway. Phones are slim because that's what the market demands. They
want phones they can slip into a tight jeans pocket, not clumsy bricks more
than an inch thick.

Most people can get through a day on one charge. And if they can't, there
are plenty of places to recharge. And if they're not available, it's easy
to carry a small power bank separately in a bag.

Except at some plane stations as I discovered last year.
Old July 17th 19, 10:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The normal rule is that you can carry one small power bank in a carry-on
bag, but none in checked-in luggage. But after the recent fire on board a
Virgin plane, perhaps that will be tightened up?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/05/virgin-atlantic-flight-makes-emergency-landing-in-boston-after-fire-on-board

Old July 17th 19, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:49:30 on Wed, 17 Jul
2019, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Now you mention it, I did once have a case for a smartphone that had
power bank integrated, which meant having a pass-through connector. But
the battery inside that died very quickly (a matter of months). The fact
they are so rare makes me think there's something systemically wrong
with them.

Is it also perhaps because the backs of phones increasingly have buttons
and camera lenses/flashes and so on - which would tend to get obscured
unless the case had exactly the correct cut-outs in it.

The case has to be designed to fit the size, shape and connectors of the
phone anyway; putting holes in the right place for camera, microphone,
speaker etc isn’t rocket science. Plain cases for every variety of phone
manage it, so do the powered cases.

I just went to Amazon to look, for my LG phone. A choice of 13 products,
every single one "Currently unavailable".
Old July 17th 19, 10:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Presumably because your phone is ancient? The assumption is that people
buy accessories when they first buy a phone, not when they unearth one in
an archaeological dig.

Of course, there's a small chance you might be able to find a well-used one
on eBay.

Old July 17th 19, 11:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:24:09 on Wed, 17 Jul 2019,
Roland Perry remarked:
[...]

And trying eBay, all that gives is replacement fatter batteries plus a
"pregnant" back cover. Of course, that's only a possibility *because*
the phone has a slot-in user-replaceable battery.

My first Android smartphone, an HTC Wildfire from about 2010, got fitted
with such a battery (and pregnant back cover) because otherwise the
battery life was well under a day.
Old July 17th 19, 11:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:45:53 on Sun, 14
Jul 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I still have my old Orange mr30 that took a full size SIM.

That's odd. I still have my Nokia Orange that they launched the network
with, and that has the postage-stamp sized SIM.
Old July 17th 19, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

As I mentioned in my other post, they’re available for a limited selection
of phone models.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old July 17th 19, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:45:53 on Sun, 14
Jul 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I still have my old Orange mr30 that took a full size SIM.

That's odd. I still have my Nokia Orange that they launched the network
with, and that has the postage-stamp sized SIM.

My friend’s first phone in uni (mid-‘90s) was a flip-front phone (with a
pull-out aerial too!) which took the huge sim. Pretty sure that was on
Orange.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Sim-L-Bus Peter Wright London Transport 1 August 3rd 14 10:30 AM
HS2 expected to run alongside a dual carriageway in the Chilterns E27002 London Transport 3 March 23rd 10 04:50 PM
The little git tube worker fired! Ian F. London Transport 12 October 27th 09 08:38 AM
Big Brother Anon London Transport 2 February 21st 04 01:02 AM
Oyster=Big Brother ?? Tony Bryer London Transport 16 September 30th 03 09:53 AM