Old July 19th 19, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 4G on the tube

"Transport for London confirmed to the Guardian that 4G mobile
phone technology would go live in tunnels on most of the Jubilee
line from March 2020 and on other lines in the coming years."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alling-at-all-
stations-tube-passengers-to-get-4g-reception-from-next-year

A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Old July 19th 19, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old July 19th 19, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2019 11:09, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

Especially not at 15p for a text message, when I can send one for 2p on O2.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 19th 19, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/07/2019 11:09, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

Especially not at 15p for a text message, when I can send one for 2p on O2.

I think, for a lot of people, WhatsApp has replaced testing. And on Virgin
(perhaps others, too?), WhatsApp data is free. And texts themselves are
also free on any monthly contract.

Old July 19th 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
"Transport for London confirmed to the Guardian that 4G mobile
phone technology would go live in tunnels on most of the Jubilee
line from March 2020 and on other lines in the coming years."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alling-at-all-
stations-tube-passengers-to-get-4g-reception-from-next-year

A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

I'm not clear how you work that out? The article says:

"While TfL is picking up the bill for initial trial on the Jubilee line
extension between Canning Town and Westminster, it will soon award a
contract to a private operator which will install 4G equipment within all
of London’s tube tunnels by the mid-2020s. Mobile phone networks will then
pay the private operator for access to the network, with the transport
authority receiving a cut of profits."

That implies that the kit will be installed by a third party, who then
charges mobile phone operators to use it, and shares the profits with TfL.
There's no suggestion that only one operator will have access. One way or
another, I'm sure all the major, and probably all, operators will provide
connectivity in the tunnels.

Old July 19th 19, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:52:06 on Fri, 19 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/07/2019 11:09, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

Especially not at 15p for a text message, when I can send one for 2p on O2.

I think, for a lot of people, WhatsApp has replaced testing.

The ability to set up small (in effect) cc groups makes it a genuine
killer app.

Also now that bandwidth is so much more readily available it
effortlessly does what MMS never did manage to popularise.

For many users it has also replaced not just Skype, but voice calls in
general (especially International).
Old July 19th 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/07/2019 11:09, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

Especially not at 15p for a text message, when I can send one for 2p on O2.

I think, for a lot of people, WhatsApp has replaced testing.

The ability to set up small (in effect) cc groups makes it a genuine
killer app.

Yes, that seems to be the key feature. It also compresses so they transmit
quickly, using little data.

Also now that bandwidth is so much more readily available it
effortlessly does what MMS never did manage to popularise.

For many users it has also replaced not just Skype, but voice calls in
general (especially International).

Yes, much cheaper, or even effectively free.

Old July 19th 19, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/07/2019 11:09, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/07/2019 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
A spin-off from the 4g replacement for Airwave, it says. Which could
mean only EE customers will benefit. [Heigh ho, another reason for
getting a dual-SIM phone].

Or another reason not to go for EE. ;-)

Especially not at 15p for a text message, when I can send one for 2p on O2.

I think, for a lot of people, WhatsApp has replaced testing.

The ability to set up small (in effect) cc groups makes it a genuine
killer app.

Yes, that seems to be the key feature. It also compresses so they transmit
quickly, using little data.

I meant to say, compresses *images*.

Old July 19th 19, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:02:37 on Fri, 19 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Just before that it says:

"The upgrade, which will ultimately require around 2,000km of
new cabling, is being installed in conjunction with a
much-delayed Home Office-mandated 4G telephone network for the
emergency services, saving the need to fit two different sets of
equipment."

(Although why a new installation is called an "upgrade", only the
sub-editors can say).

That implies that the kit will be installed by a third party,

It's hardly likely to be done by TfL themselves. No budget for that kind
of thing, or something would have happened years ago.

who then charges mobile phone operators to use it, and shares the
profits with TfL. There's no suggestion that only one operator will
have access.

"Although the UK’s four mobile phone networks are is still in
negotiations about accessing the new equipment in London's tube
tunnels, TfL expects that customer demand will ensure they all
provide services on the move."

Well, EE is going to, but are-is(sic, well it is the Grauniad) the other
three going to follow suit. Who will blink first over the cost.

One way or another, I'm sure all the major, and probably all,

You expect there to perhaps be an "O2 - yes, Tesco - no" kind of
discrimination (which in another thread I think is what applies to the
wifi).

operators will provide connectivity in the tunnels.

Let's wait and see what happens.
Old July 19th 19, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I meant that the equipment will be installed by a company other than the
networks or TfL.

who then charges mobile phone operators to use it, and shares the
profits with TfL. There's no suggestion that only one operator will
have access.

"Although the UK’s four mobile phone networks are is still in
negotiations about accessing the new equipment in London's tube
tunnels, TfL expects that customer demand will ensure they all
provide services on the move."

Well, EE is going to, but are-is(sic, well it is the Grauniad) the other
three going to follow suit. Who will blink first over the cost.

Where does it say that EE is committed to providing access? I could see no
mention of it.

One way or another, I'm sure all the major, and probably all,

You expect there to perhaps be an "O2 - yes, Tesco - no" kind of
discrimination (which in another thread I think is what applies to the
wifi).

I suppose it's possible that some cheapo virtual networks won't include it.

operators will provide connectivity in the tunnels.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Indeed, and it's going to be a while.