London Banter

-   -   Pointless footbridge in Poplar (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17688-pointless-footbridge-poplar.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] September 17th 19 12:50 AM

Pointless footbridge in Poplar

https://goo.gl/maps/9BvVTUQWUswc3HXC9

Why is it there?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Jon Hassell - 1978 - Vernal Equinox

Graeme Wall September 17th 19 06:40 AM

Pointless footbridge in Poplar

On 17/09/2019 01:50, Basil Jet wrote:

https://goo.gl/maps/9BvVTUQWUswc3HXC9

Why is it there?

Somewere for the troll to live.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

David Cantrell September 17th 19 09:18 AM

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 01:50:14AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

https://goo.gl/maps/9BvVTUQWUswc3HXC9

Why is it there?

I would assume that the road layout has changed since it was built and
the west-bound carriageway of East India Dock Rd used to be wider.

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.

Robin9 September 17th 19 01:51 PM

The Google map must be at least 20 years old because the trunk road
is labelled A102. When the erroneously named M11 Link Road was opened
in August 1999 (if memory serves correctly) the northern section of the
A102 became part of the A12.

The footbridge is long gone and I don't remember it at all even though I
used to drive under it frequently and, when I worked in Dartford, ten
times a week.

Peter Able[_2_] September 17th 19 03:51 PM

Pointless footbridge in Poplar

On 17/09/2019 01:50, Basil Jet wrote:

https://goo.gl/maps/9BvVTUQWUswc3HXC9

Why is it there?

It has a no cycling sign at its start, so maybe, at least nowadays, some
safe(r) path for pedestrians?

PA

Someone Somewhere September 17th 19 03:58 PM

On 17/09/2019 14:51, Robin9 wrote:
The Google map must be at least 20 years old because the trunk road
is labelled A102. When the erroneously named M11 Link Road was opened
in August 1999 (if memory serves correctly) the northern section of the
A102 became part of the A12.

The footbridge is long gone and I don't remember it at all even though I

used to drive under it frequently and, when I worked in Dartford, ten
times a week.

Well it's shown in this image dated August 2018:

https://goo.gl/maps/zkzcYbmyGz1FSqcS8

Robin[_6_] September 17th 19 04:12 PM

Pointless footbridge in Poplar

On 17/09/2019 14:51, Robin9 wrote:
The Google map must be at least 20 years old because the trunk road
is labelled A102. When the erroneously named M11 Link Road was opened
in August 1999 (if memory serves correctly) the northern section of the
A102 became part of the A12.

Not quite. The Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach Road remained the
A102 from just north of the roundabout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A12_road_(England)

And thank you (not) for reminding me of the days of the A102(M) with a
60 mph limit :(

--
Robin

Robin9 September 18th 19 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someone Somewhere (Post 171195)
On 17/09/2019 14:51, Robin9 wrote:
The Google map must be at least 20 years old because the trunk road
is labelled A102. When the erroneously named M11 Link Road was opened
in August 1999 (if memory serves correctly) the northern section of the
A102 became part of the A12.

The footbridge is long gone and I don't remember it at all even though I

used to drive under it frequently and, when I worked in Dartford, ten
times a week.

Well it's shown in this image dated August 2018:

https://goo.gl/maps/zkzcYbmyGz1FSqcS8

You've got me thinking. I'll go and have a look and a good walk round
just to be sure.

David Cantrell September 18th 19 09:34 AM

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 02:51:59PM +0100, Robin9 wrote:

The footbridge is long gone and I don't remember it at all even though I
used to drive under it frequently and, when I worked in Dartford, ten
times a week.

You don't remember hundreds of other completely irrelevant structures
that you passed either.

Featu an incorrectly implemented bug

Jarle Hammen Knudsen September 20th 19 08:27 PM

Pointless footbridge in Poplar

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 01:50:14 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

https://goo.gl/maps/9BvVTUQWUswc3HXC9

Why is it there?

Pedestrian access to the bus stop.