Old October 13th 19, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow CC

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:54:39 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/10/2019 13:04, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 21:04:48 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/10/2019 20:49,
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 17:52:05 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/10/2019 17:39, Roland Perry wrote:
I'm simply pointing out that that circumstances under discussion are
really quite rare. And have to be pretty dire to uproot the family from
their schools, friends, etc.

You don't know anybody in the services then, or even some civil service

Whilst in the forces it'll be a case of move house or get thrown in the

nick
for disobeying orders, I very much doubt thats the case in the civil

service.

Since its almost impossible to get fired from the latter I suspect if

refused

to move they'd simply accomodate your wishes.

Something else you know nothing about then. It is just as easy to get
fired from the civil service as any other job.

Yeah, right. Why is HMRC stuffed full of clowns who don't know one end of
am invoice or spreadsheet from another then?

Got caught did you, IR35?

They tried about 5 years ago - they failed.

They also tried to claim that I had to pay tax on child benefit when it was
my wife who was receiving the money.

Suffice to say I doubt any of them would get a job cleaning an accountants
office never mind work in a professional capacity there.

Old October 14th 19, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/10/2019 13:04, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 21:04:48 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

that's the way that the policy works

not all wives will be earning anything at all, but the tax is still payable
if spouse earns more than the limit

tim

Old October 15th 19, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall writes:

On 11/10/2019 17:39, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:07:34 on Fri, 11 Oct
2019, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:51:36 on Tue, 8 Oct
2019,Â* tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
11:55:53Â* onÂ* Mon, 7 Oct 2019, David Cantrell
remarked:
On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 11:32:28AM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
10:47:38
on Fri, 4 Oct 2019, David Cantrell remarked:
I repeat, it's something that lots of people have done, and lots of
people do do, so is clearly not completely unreasonable.
First you have to finds a school with places, and the good ones are
likely to be full. Even if you are turning up for the first year of
Secondary because the allocations will have been done 9mths earlier.

The children will lose their friends, places on sports teams,
have aÂ* new
set of teachers, strange classmates, quite likely a different
syllabus
with some subjects not available, and in the run-up to public
examsÂ* this
can be very seriously disrupting.

And yet people do it. No matter how many reasons you can think of for
not doing it, people do it anyway, thus proving that for at
least some
families it's a sensible thing to do.

The most common reason for moving (and children being forced to
go to aÂ* different school, or have a very long commute) is
divorce.

I expect the second most common reason is some financial disaster

which "losing your job and having to get a new one, some miles
away" falls into

It's the *having* to move which is the disaster. Sometimes it's
possibleÂ* to get a job locally, or rely on a joint breadwinner, or
have a longerÂ* daily commute, or even a weekly commute.

Oh stop moving the goalposts

I'm simply pointing out that that circumstances under discussion are
really quite rare. And have to be pretty dire to uproot the family
from their schools, friends, etc.

You don't know anybody in the services then, or even some civil
service jobs. You get posted from one end of the country to another
or abroad, commuting is out of the question. I moved school several
times, three junior schools and two secondaries, in three different
countries.

Or banks.

Before university I lived in five different places because of my Father's work 0 and ibn one place he also change offices

--
Mark
Old October 15th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:28:56 on Tue, 15 Oct
2019, Mark Bestley remarked:
I'm simply pointing out that that circumstances under discussion are
really quite rare. And have to be pretty dire to uproot the family
from their schools, friends, etc.

You don't know anybody in the services then, or even some civil
service jobs. You get posted from one end of the country to another
or abroad, commuting is out of the question. I moved school several
times, three junior schools and two secondaries, in three different
countries.

Or banks.

Before university I lived in five different places because of my
Father's work 0 and ibn one place he also change offices

How well did you manage to transfer between O-level or A-Level
syllabuses? Back then there might have not been much coursework
involved, so it would only be learning for a new exam. Or were
you lucky and it was the same exam board?

Old October 19th 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry writes:

[...]

Different course and exam boards

In 4th year history tudors to modern, Latin 50/50 translate either way to 80/20 from Latin Their english to Latin translation was easy.

Mid 6th form Physics traditional to Nuffield. Maths SMP to more traditional.

Others I can't remember or were the same.

I think in all cases I did better or at least no worse

--
Mark
Old October 21st 19, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:51:07 on Sat, 19 Oct
2019, Mark Bestley remarked:
Before university I lived in five different places because of my
Father's work 0 and ibn one place he also change offices

How well did you manage to transfer between O-level or A-Level
syllabuses? Back then there might have not been much coursework
involved, so it would only be learning for a new exam. Or were
you lucky and it was the same exam board?

Different course and exam boards

In 4th year history tudors to modern, Latin 50/50 translate either way to 80/20 from Latin Their english to Latin translation was easy.

Mid 6th form Physics traditional to Nuffield. Maths SMP to more traditional.

Others I can't remember or were the same.

I think in all cases I did better or at least no worse

You are clearly well above averagely talented.

I passed A-level Maths the same age as most now do GCSE maths. Courtesy
of a 4-yr O-level stream, plus doing the A-Level as a form of mock in
the lower 6th. Try telling that you today's youngsters!