London Banter

-   -   Plane spotting from the Queen's Building (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17704-plane-spotting-queens-building.html)

Recliner[_4_] November 5th 19 02:03 PM

Plane spotting from the Queen's Building

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 23:04:35 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 27/10/2019 21:05, Recliner wrote:

Of course, these days, much of the diversity of planes has gone. The vast
majority of planes are underwing twins, Airbuses and Boeings. Amost none
from other manufacturers, no triples, relatively few quads, few
rear-engined. And you don't need to be an expert to identify them: your
phone tells you all about all the planes, long before they're within sight
or sound.

My phone doesn't..! Although my other half who's more into this these
days uses a website called flightradar24.com on the laptop to find out
what's going over here at any time, we often get helicopters to and from
the rigs and also air ambulances inbound to ARI (Aberdeen Royal
Infirmary) going over the rooftops at quite a low altitude..!

Sad to learn of the demise of the Queens Building, it must have been the
late 60's the last time I was there, so it's not surprising, I suppose.
I've only really been through Heathrow a handful of times in recent
years, and as it was usually at stupid o'clock I didn't take too much
notice of my surroundings...!

A follow up on plane spotting from the Queen's Building: last week,
while my departing plane was taxiiing from T3 to runway 9R, I was
lucky enough to grab a shot through my plane's dirty window of a smart
BEA jet that had just landed on 09R taxiing past an even smarter BOAC
747 parked at T5. You'd have seen a lot more like that in the late
1960s and early 1970s, though of course T5 didn't exist back then (and
my flight would have left from T1, not T3, in those days).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49018981222/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/

I'd seen both those planes before, but not managed to photograph them
together.