Old November 7th 19, 07:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Northumberland Park station

I had my first look at the rebuilt station last night. The west side has
a massive ramp connecting the footbridge to the street, ideal for a
football crowd. However, there is a lift from the new footbridge to the
island platform, as well as two steepish staircases, neither of which
would be very safe for a crowd... one of the staircases is marked as out
of use during stadium events, but it's not obvious why one staircase is
dangerous and the other is not, in fact having both open should be safer.

The east side of the station also has a massive ramp, even though there
is obviously no stadium on that side, and there is nothing but an
industrial estate and tube depot (not station), so football crowds using
that side would be minimal. There is a staircase short cut, and that is
also marked as out of use during stadium events, even though there will
presumably never be more than a handful of people on that side of the
station. It all seems baffling and botched, as well as hideous compared
to Meridian Water.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Pond - 2013 - Hobo Rocket

Old November 12th 19, 09:15 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I haven't studied the rebuilt station and I'll have a look in the next few days.

Two points: the ramp on the east side may have been put in as a safety
measure on the assumption that on match days large numbers of
people from Hertfordshire might alight and stumble around as the
platforms and stairs are inadequate for crowds. Also, that up platform
will probably be busy in the morning rush hour.
Old November 14th 19, 06:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/11/2019 08:07, Basil Jet wrote:

I had my first look at the rebuilt station last night. The west side has
a massive ramp connecting the footbridge to the street, ideal for a
football crowd. However, there is a lift from the new footbridge to the
island platform, as well as two steepish staircases, neither of which
would be very safe for a crowd... one of the staircases is marked as out
of use during stadium events, but it's not obvious why one staircase is
dangerous and the other is not, in fact having both open should be safer.

Will it be totally blocked off or will it be available for arriving
passengers to use?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 14th 19, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14/11/2019 07:45, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/11/2019 08:07, Basil Jet wrote:

I had my first look at the rebuilt station last night. The west side has
a massive ramp connecting the footbridge to the street, ideal for a
football crowd. However, there is a lift from the new footbridge to the
island platform, as well as two steepish staircases, neither of which
would be very safe for a crowd... one of the staircases is marked as out
of use during stadium events, but it's not obvious why one staircase is
dangerous and the other is not, in fact having both open should be safer.

Will it be totally blocked off or will it be available for arriving
passengers to use?

There are physical gates on the stairways in question.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Unknown Instructors - 2005 - The Way Things Work
Old November 14th 19, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14/11/2019 10:38, Basil Jet wrote:
On 14/11/2019 07:45, John Williamson wrote:
Will it be totally blocked off or will it be available for arriving
passengers to use?

There are physical gates on the stairways in question.

Ah, right. That scuppers my theory of keeping a clear exit fpr arriving
passengers.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.