London Banter

-   -   Paul Corfield (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17714-paul-corfield.html)

London calling November 27th 19 09:12 PM

Paul Corfield

I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

Recliner[_4_] November 27th 19 09:28 PM

Paul Corfield

London calling wrote:
I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

Very shocking news.

He hadn't been active here for some time, but I had no idea he was ill. As
you say, he was very well informed, and always balanced and polite in his
postings. A real gent, and very professional.

Very sad that he'll not be back.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 27th 19 11:02 PM

Paul Corfield

On 27/11/2019 22:12, London calling wrote:
I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

He was by far the most knowledgeable person here on TfL issues, and was
far from old... late 50s maybe. Let's hope he's gone to a place that has
fewer overheating problems than the top of a Roastmaster.

[Crossposted to uk.railway]

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Tap Tap - 2006 - Lanzafame

Jarle Hammen Knudsen November 27th 19 11:15 PM

Paul Corfield

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 22:12:00 +0000, London calling
wrote:

I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

This is very sad news. I always scanned threads for his replies as
they were most interesting and informative.

His Flickr photos are he
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/

--
jhk

Recliner[_4_] November 27th 19 11:27 PM

Paul Corfield

wrote:

I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

This is very sad news. I always scanned threads for his replies as
they were most interesting and informative.

His Flickr photos are he
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/

I see he posted this message there five months ago:

"Just a message to explain the lack of uploads recently. I have been
diagnosed with a very serious medical condition. This means photography is
pretty much out of the question. At this point in time I've no idea how
long recovery may take or even if it that is likely.

I have set things up that my account will auto renew shortly for a year so
my full set of photos will remain online for your enjoyment. Thank you all
for your continued support of my Flickrstream."

Robin9 November 28th 19 10:17 AM

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

Recliner[_4_] November 28th 19 03:04 PM

Paul Corfield

Robin9 wrote:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

I found this that he tweeted on 29 Oct:
"Personal update - am no longer at home. Am in local palliative unit at
Whipped Cross hospital. Had become too weak to manage independently so
possibly best place for me now. Both GP and new consultant involved in
decision."

I wish I'd followed him on Twitter, as he provided regular news on his
worsening illness.

[email protected] November 28th 19 03:33 PM

Paul Corfield

On 28/11/2019 16:04, Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

I found this that he tweeted on 29 Oct:
"Personal update - am no longer at home. Am in local palliative unit at
Whipped Cross hospital. Had become too weak to manage independently so
possibly best place for me now. Both GP and new consultant involved in
decision."

I wish I'd followed him on Twitter, as he provided regular news on his
worsening illness.

He is in a better place, one has to believe, regardless of whether that
person is religious or not.

Recliner[_4_] November 28th 19 03:46 PM

Paul Corfield

Robin9 wrote:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

I found this that he tweeted on 29 Oct:
"Personal update - am no longer at home. Am in local palliative unit at
Whipped Cross hospital. Had become too weak to manage independently so
possibly best place for me now. Both GP and new consultant involved in
decision."

I wish I'd followed him on Twitter, as he provided regular news on his
worsening illness.

He is in a better place, one has to believe, regardless of whether that
person is religious or not.

Yes, going through his tweets, he had a sad, miserable last few months. He
doesn't seem to have had close family, and I don't think he was religious.
He used music as a distraction.

[email protected] November 28th 19 04:08 PM

Paul Corfield

Robin9 wrote:

[...]

I've had 2 family members die of cancer - its a miserable way to go. Despite
the fact that new medicine is being developed we seem to hear about it more
and more. I suppose its what gets you when everything else has been cured.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 28th 19 04:23 PM

Paul Corfield

Robin9 wrote:

[...]

I never heard him mention music. What sort of music did he like?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Teleman - 2014 - Breakfast

James Heaton[_4_] November 28th 19 04:38 PM

Paul Corfield

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

I found him on twitter after reading this thread. Sounds like a rough final
few months.

From some mentions of how old he was when certain songs came out in other
tweets, I would estimate he was born in 1964.

James

tim... November 28th 19 05:11 PM

Paul Corfield

wrote in message ...
Robin9 wrote:

[...]

mother and father (though only one prematurely)

- its a miserable way to go. Despite
the fact that new medicine is being developed we seem to hear about it
more
and more. I suppose its what gets you when everything else has been cured.

Yep, that's exactly what's happening

tim

Roland Perry November 28th 19 05:22 PM

Paul Corfield

In message , at 16:04:23 on Thu, 28
Nov 2019, Recliner remarked:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

The almost most recent posting I have here is July 2018:

TfL press releases, board papers and reports are littered with
such errors. No one bothers to properly proof read this stuff
which means appalling errors are made and then published for the
public to see.

[mode = old git] "Wouldn't have happened in my day"

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
perhaps prematurely from TfL after a career in ultimately
customer-facing IT (such as Oyster and barriers) and then became an
inveterate critic of the continuing regime.

Such as (and not saying his self-imposed role was right or wrong, but it
was very much his entitlement to do so)

"Something has to give very soon because you can't keep
prioritising Crossrail if it means a newly electrified line
can't use electric trains *and* it may also lose its existing
diesel trains. That is the sort of farce that is almost up there
with the utter, utter shambles that is Thameslink / Great
Northern."

"TfL do produce assessments of broken trips, longer wait times
etc. The only time I've seen one published was for the extensive
New Addington changes 3 years ago. It showed the numbers of
people affected, demand levels, costs and benefits of the
options considered etc. It was genuinely interesting. However
I suspect TfL take the view that the public aren't bothered with
such things or would not understand them. They've not published
one since, sadly. The cynic in me says they don't like to
release too much detail in case it is turned against them by
someone who might spot flaws or inconsistencies in the
assumptions, data or calculations."

"The Hopper fare is being used to justify the loss of many
sections of bus route. Part of the 27 is being lost in
Chiswick, the 224 is being axed in Wembley, the mass of cuts in
and around Oxford St. There are also many more route massacres
on their way. To coin a phrase "you ain't seen nothing yet".
It's an accountant's wet dream as it allows the bus planners to
rip the bus network to bits and leave the passengers (those that
will be left) with the effort of taking multiple buses whereas
today a journey can be done on one bus. One day I shall have
to ask Caroline Pidgeon, who campaigned for the Hopper ticket,
whether she also expected the bus network to be destroyed off
the back of her initiative. Talk about unintended
consequences."

Recliner[_4_] November 28th 19 10:56 PM

Paul Corfield

James Heaton wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

Yes this is very sad, particularly at a fairly young age. I was
wondering
why he no longer posted in this forum.

I think he dropped out if here before the illness. I think he may still
have been active elsewhere till about five months ago.

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

I found him on twitter after reading this thread. Sounds like a rough final
few months.

From some mentions of how old he was when certain songs came out in other
tweets, I would estimate he was born in 1964.

Ah, a bit younger than I'd have guessed. Very sad.

Colum Mylod November 30th 19 02:28 PM

Paul Corfield

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:22:03 +0000, Roland Perry

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
perhaps prematurely from TfL after a career in ultimately
customer-facing IT (such as Oyster and barriers) and then became an
inveterate critic of the continuing regime.

Such as (and not saying his self-imposed role was right or wrong, but it
was very much his entitlement to do so)

I had saved a posting from 4-7-2007 when he was "admitting to working
for LU", where he's objectively (IMHO) critical of some of his
employer's ways, and praising too. No way did he come across as more
harsh afterwards. Very fact-based. He went personal on twitter with
reluctance when his tumour proved nasty.

Enjoy, if that's the term:

***
A non TfL website has quite a lot of info here

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm

Click on the route number in the big list to bring up the timetable if
one is available. Note TfL no longer officially produce or publish
proper timetables - IMO it's shameful that a private individual is
left
to provide this sort of valuable info for one of the great world
cities.

Depending on how frequent a service then service performance may be
measured either on keeping buses running to the broad frequency (for
what TfL call high frequency routes) or to the scheduled timetable
(for
low frequency routes)

More info here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessan...reports/#faqs2

If my bus service ran every 5 minutes and did so reliably then I
really
wouldn't care about a timetable. However I object to being left to
just
wander to a bus stop to wait up to 12 minutes just because TfL can't
be
bothered to tell me the minutes past the hour a bus runs. Only when
frequencies reach every 15 minutes or less frequently do they put up
the
minutes past the hour at the stop. It is also worth noting that many
bus frequencies are not that high early in the morning or late in the
evening even on trunk routes running from Central London.

I recognise things can go wrong and buses do diverge from the
timetable
and that's fine if I have access to good information to allow me to
make
more informed choices. As I cannot take any decent TfL produced
information with me I have to spend a load of time researching all
possible options before I leave and then scribble them down so if I am
making lots of journeys on unfamiliar services (as I did visiting some
gardens open under the National Garden Scheme the other Sunday). This
is
a pain in the posterior - why can't I just pop to a travel info centre
and ask for the timetable leaflets or buy a timetable book? Strange
that even my least favourite commercial operators outside of London
can
manage to do this relatively easily.

Overall I think the TfL bus network is pretty damn good but the whole
approach to passenger information I cannot stand.

Paul C

***

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com

Roland Perry December 1st 19 06:21 PM

Paul Corfield

In message , at 15:28:20 on
Sat, 30 Nov 2019, Colum Mylod remarked:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:22:03 +0000, Roland Perry

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
perhaps prematurely from TfL after a career in ultimately
customer-facing IT (such as Oyster and barriers) and then became an
inveterate critic of the continuing regime.

Such as (and not saying his self-imposed role was right or wrong, but it
was very much his entitlement to do so)

I had saved a posting from 4-7-2007 when he was "admitting to working
for LU",

Such postings exist back to at least 2000.

Also with the tagline "the big camp *******" (tm d.a.r.s.y)
VFR800 | ZX6R | R1150GS" in the biker community. A multi-modal champion.

where he's objectively (IMHO) critical of some of his employer's ways,
and praising too. No way did he come across as more harsh afterwards.
Very fact-based.

As far as you are aware was he still working for TfL until very
recently. Or was there at some point a break?

While I can't currently cite any postings, my recollection is that there
was change to "this wouldn't have happened on my watch" at some point.

Recliner[_4_] December 1st 19 08:25 PM

Paul Corfield

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:28:20 on
Sat, 30 Nov 2019, Colum Mylod remarked:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:22:03 +0000, Roland Perry

From about five years ago I got the impression he'd been 'let go'
[...]

My memory is that he was pushed out of TfL a few years ago, and didn't get
another job. Perhaps he did some consulting, but I don't recall his ever
mentioning any such work.

Richard J.[_3_] December 3rd 19 08:21 PM

Paul Corfield

On 27/11/2019 22:12, London calling wrote:
I believe Paul was a regular here some time ago (and was very
knowledgable about LUL and buses).

I've just been informed that he died last Sunday 24 November 2019 from
cancer.

He will be sorely missed.

Indeed, a sad loss.

There is a thread on London Reconnections at
https://www.londonreconnections.com/...a-friend-plcd/

--
Richard J.

Colum Mylod December 4th 19 10:09 AM

Paul Corfield

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 21:21:51 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

Indeed, a sad loss.

There is a thread on London Reconnections at
https://www.londonreconnections.com/...a-friend-plcd/

Known as Snoggle elsewhere (tango.proboards) and mentioned on
http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thre...ld-aka-snoggle

RIP

GWR user December 4th 19 05:46 PM

detailed bus timetables (was: Paul Corfield)

wrote:

[...]

It's a generalized pattern in the communication departments of bus companies.

I had the same discussion with the customer services of Thames Travel
and Stagecoach in Oxfordshire about publishing bus stop timetables online.
In Oxfordshire you can have very complex timetables, where the bus takes
a different route and does not serve a stop every hour, and each hour comes
at a different time. On stagecoach they even forwarded my message to
somebody at a higher level, and they told me they were not going to do that.

They have all those timetables internally but they stubbornly refuse
to publish them online. Now I see that even working from the inside
like Paul it's impossible to get that done.

And he was also right about proofreading. On one ocasion they printed
thousand of leaflets with timetables that were wrong from beginning to
end and released them to the public.

Thames Travel and Stagecoach are private companies. We don't have
public buses in Oxfordshire, so corporate stupidity is not exclusive
of public companies like TfL.

PS: I didn't know about Paul since I came recently to these newsgroups.
I can realize about the loss of him passing away so early.

tim... December 4th 19 06:02 PM

detailed bus timetables (was: Paul Corfield)

o.uk...
wrote:

[...]

I have a friend who come from a medium size regional European city

Like most cities urban bus route runs once every 10-15 minutes so that all
the information that's at the stop (plus first and last bust times)

but on one occasion I found myself at a stop where the bus ran once per hour

and that's all the information that the sign at the stop gave me

tim

Basil Jet[_4_] December 5th 19 02:58 AM

detailed bus timetables

On 04/12/2019 19:02, tim... wrote:

I have a friend who come from a medium size regional European city

Like most cities urban bus route runs once every 10-15 minutes so that
all the information that's at the stop (plus first and last bust times)

but on one occasion I found myself at a stop where the bus ran once per
hour

and that's all the information that the sign at the stop gave me

Did it give the first and last times?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Oasis - 2000 - Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants

tim... December 5th 19 09:16 PM

detailed bus timetables

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 04/12/2019 19:02, tim... wrote:

I have a friend who come from a medium size regional European city

Like most cities urban bus route runs once every 10-15 minutes so that
all the information that's at the stop (plus first and last bust times)

but on one occasion I found myself at a stop where the bus ran once per
hour

and that's all the information that the sign at the stop gave me

Did it give the first and last times?

It did

but they were significantly different in terms of minuses past the hour so
it wasn't possible to infer an XX past every hour from the first bus

tim

London calling December 11th 19 09:57 PM

Paul Corfield

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:04:23 GMT, Recliner
wrote:

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

54 - 5 years younger than me worryingly.

Recliner[_4_] December 11th 19 10:03 PM

Paul Corfield

wrote:

Does anyone know his age? I couldn't locate him on LinkedIn.

54 - 5 years younger than me worryingly.

Yes, several people have confirmed that. I must admit that I'd wrongly
guessed he was slightly older.

Do you know if he worked after leaving LU?

London calling December 11th 19 10:06 PM

Paul Corfield

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:25:15 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

While I can't currently cite any postings, my recollection is that there
was change to "this wouldn't have happened on my watch" at some point.

My memory is that he was pushed out of TfL a few years ago, and didn't get
another job. Perhaps he did some consulting, but I don't recall his ever
mentioning any such work.

I knew Paul at the time (I very regretably lost touch with him in the
past couple of years).

He took VS from LUL when they were cutting down. He stated to me that
he was comfortable enough with his fairly frugal lifestyle that he
could continue for many years.

Other than blogs (London Reunited) and his postings (which he wouldn't
have been paid for) I don't believe he did any paid work.

Rink January 28th 20 07:20 PM

detailed bus timetables

In uk.railway Colum Mylod wrote:

A non TfL website has quite a lot of info here

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm

Click on the route number in the big list to bring up the timetable
if one is available. Note TfL no longer officially produce or
publish proper timetables - IMO it's shameful that a private
individual is left to provide this sort of valuable info for one of
the great world cities.

Depending on how frequent a service then service performance may
be measured either on keeping buses running to the broad frequency
(for what TfL call high frequency routes) or to the scheduled
timetable (for low frequency routes)

More info here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessan...reports/#faqs2

This link does not exist anymore.