Old January 18th 20, 11:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Misleading messages

wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 10:32:44 UTC, Weather or Not wrote:
Yesterday, I wanted to catch the 14.14 Bloxwich to Cannock, about 14.05
an announcement was made the train was cancelled, so I caught the bus
instead. When I got back home, I checked Realtime Trains website, and
found that the train I wanted did actually run it got to Bloxwich 7 mins
late. Why do NR annonuce a train is cancelled when it just running late?

That was partially cancelled, terminated at Hednesford and did not call
at Rugely Town or Rugely Trent Valley. It was delayed at Walsall for 7 minutes.

Possibly at Walsall it was cancelled then partially reinstated on the
departures boards, but the Bloxwich announcer (or announcement robot)
updated at just the wrong time, announced the cancellation but didn't
pick up the subsequent reinstatement.

I was recently on a Metropolitan line train heading for Aldgate. As we
approached Finchley Road, the train first announced, as usual, that the
next station was Finchley Road, and that this train was for Aldgate. Then,
as we stopped, it announced that the train was terminating here, and "all
change, all change".

Everyone looked up, puzzled, but few actually got up. The doors then closed
as normal, and off we went. It happened again at a couple more stations,
confusing those who'd got on after the first announcement. The driver made
no manual announcements, so I don't know if the erroneous announcements
were his fault or the train's.

Old January 18th 20, 12:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Probably the trains. It wouldn't be the first time an automated announcing
system gets confused and even forgets where it is. No doubt the driver was
fully well aware that the system was playing up as he can certainly hear it
from the cab but presumably his measly 60K salary isn't enough for him to
bother to make a corrective announcement.

Old January 19th 20, 01:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That happens on NR as well. I've had Thameslink trains going in one
direction while the PIS thought it was going in the opposite
direction.

Old January 26th 20, 05:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I was on one a few weeks ago that was announced on the PIS as out of
service, but was full of passengers and the inside information screen
also claimed it was out of service... that was Thameslink from
Loughborough Junction to the elephant

--
Martin