London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 18th 20, 10:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 622
Default Misleading messages

wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 10:32:44 UTC, Weather or Not wrote:
Yesterday, I wanted to catch the 14.14 Bloxwich to Cannock, about 14.05
an announcement was made the train was cancelled, so I caught the bus
instead. When I got back home, I checked Realtime Trains website, and
found that the train I wanted did actually run it got to Bloxwich 7 mins
late. Why do NR annonuce a train is cancelled when it just running late?


That was partially cancelled, terminated at Hednesford and did not call
at Rugely Town or Rugely Trent Valley. It was delayed at Walsall for 7 minutes.

Possibly at Walsall it was cancelled then partially reinstated on the
departures boards, but the Bloxwich announcer (or announcement robot)
updated at just the wrong time, announced the cancellation but didn't
pick up the subsequent reinstatement.


I was recently on a Metropolitan line train heading for Aldgate. As we
approached Finchley Road, the train first announced, as usual, that the
next station was Finchley Road, and that this train was for Aldgate. Then,
as we stopped, it announced that the train was terminating here, and "all
change, all change".

Everyone looked up, puzzled, but few actually got up. The doors then closed
as normal, and off we went. It happened again at a couple more stations,
confusing those who'd got on after the first announcement. The driver made
no manual announcements, so I don't know if the erroneous announcements
were his fault or the train's.

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 18th 20, 11:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2019
Posts: 16
Default Misleading messages

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 10:32:44 UTC, Weather or Not wrote:
Yesterday, I wanted to catch the 14.14 Bloxwich to Cannock, about 14.05
an announcement was made the train was cancelled, so I caught the bus
instead. When I got back home, I checked Realtime Trains website, and
found that the train I wanted did actually run it got to Bloxwich 7 mins
late. Why do NR annonuce a train is cancelled when it just running late?


That was partially cancelled, terminated at Hednesford and did not call
at Rugely Town or Rugely Trent Valley. It was delayed at Walsall for 7

minutes.

Possibly at Walsall it was cancelled then partially reinstated on the
departures boards, but the Bloxwich announcer (or announcement robot)
updated at just the wrong time, announced the cancellation but didn't
pick up the subsequent reinstatement.


I was recently on a Metropolitan line train heading for Aldgate. As we
approached Finchley Road, the train first announced, as usual, that the
next station was Finchley Road, and that this train was for Aldgate. Then,
as we stopped, it announced that the train was terminating here, and "all
change, all change".

Everyone looked up, puzzled, but few actually got up. The doors then closed
as normal, and off we went. It happened again at a couple more stations,
confusing those who'd got on after the first announcement. The driver made
no manual announcements, so I don't know if the erroneous announcements
were his fault or the train's.


Probably the trains. It wouldn't be the first time an automated announcing
system gets confused and even forgets where it is. No doubt the driver was
fully well aware that the system was playing up as he can certainly hear it
from the cab but presumably his measly 60K salary isn't enough for him to
bother to make a corrective announcement.

  #3   Report Post  
Old January 19th 20, 12:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 489
Default Misleading messages

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:26:41 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 10:32:44 UTC, Weather or Not wrote:
Yesterday, I wanted to catch the 14.14 Bloxwich to Cannock, about 14.05
an announcement was made the train was cancelled, so I caught the bus
instead. When I got back home, I checked Realtime Trains website, and
found that the train I wanted did actually run it got to Bloxwich 7 mins
late. Why do NR annonuce a train is cancelled when it just running late?

That was partially cancelled, terminated at Hednesford and did not call
at Rugely Town or Rugely Trent Valley. It was delayed at Walsall for 7

minutes.

Possibly at Walsall it was cancelled then partially reinstated on the
departures boards, but the Bloxwich announcer (or announcement robot)
updated at just the wrong time, announced the cancellation but didn't
pick up the subsequent reinstatement.


I was recently on a Metropolitan line train heading for Aldgate. As we
approached Finchley Road, the train first announced, as usual, that the
next station was Finchley Road, and that this train was for Aldgate. Then,
as we stopped, it announced that the train was terminating here, and "all
change, all change".

Everyone looked up, puzzled, but few actually got up. The doors then closed
as normal, and off we went. It happened again at a couple more stations,
confusing those who'd got on after the first announcement. The driver made
no manual announcements, so I don't know if the erroneous announcements
were his fault or the train's.


Probably the trains. It wouldn't be the first time an automated announcing
system gets confused and even forgets where it is.

That happens on NR as well. I've had Thameslink trains going in one
direction while the PIS thought it was going in the opposite
direction.

No doubt the driver was
fully well aware that the system was playing up as he can certainly hear it
from the cab but presumably his measly 60K salary isn't enough for him to
bother to make a corrective announcement.

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 26th 20, 04:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2003
Posts: 40
Default Misleading messages

On 19/01/2020 01:28, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:26:41 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 10:32:44 UTC, Weather or Not wrote:
Yesterday, I wanted to catch the 14.14 Bloxwich to Cannock, about 14.05
an announcement was made the train was cancelled, so I caught the bus
instead. When I got back home, I checked Realtime Trains website, and
found that the train I wanted did actually run it got to Bloxwich 7 mins
late. Why do NR annonuce a train is cancelled when it just running late?

That was partially cancelled, terminated at Hednesford and did not call
at Rugely Town or Rugely Trent Valley. It was delayed at Walsall for 7
minutes.

Possibly at Walsall it was cancelled then partially reinstated on the
departures boards, but the Bloxwich announcer (or announcement robot)
updated at just the wrong time, announced the cancellation but didn't
pick up the subsequent reinstatement.

I was recently on a Metropolitan line train heading for Aldgate. As we
approached Finchley Road, the train first announced, as usual, that the
next station was Finchley Road, and that this train was for Aldgate. Then,
as we stopped, it announced that the train was terminating here, and "all
change, all change".

Everyone looked up, puzzled, but few actually got up. The doors then closed
as normal, and off we went. It happened again at a couple more stations,
confusing those who'd got on after the first announcement. The driver made
no manual announcements, so I don't know if the erroneous announcements
were his fault or the train's.


Probably the trains. It wouldn't be the first time an automated announcing
system gets confused and even forgets where it is.

That happens on NR as well. I've had Thameslink trains going in one
direction while the PIS thought it was going in the opposite
direction.


I was on one a few weeks ago that was announced on the PIS as out of
service, but was full of passengers and the inside information screen
also claimed it was out of service... that was Thameslink from
Loughborough Junction to the elephant


No doubt the driver was
fully well aware that the system was playing up as he can certainly hear it
from the cab but presumably his measly 60K salary isn't enough for him to
bother to make a corrective announcement.



--
Martin


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pointless messages on electronic platform boards [email protected] London Transport 14 August 24th 18 12:32 PM
Kings Cross to Moorgate - misleading reproting. blanik London Transport 3 August 31st 11 10:25 AM
Misleading article on Crossrail announcement Dave Arquati London Transport 1 July 12th 04 08:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017