London Banter

-   -   Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17756-tube-partially-shut-due-kung.html)

Keema's Nan March 20th 20 05:06 PM

Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu

On 20 Mar 2020, MissRiaElaine wrote
(in article ):

On 20/03/2020 17:49, Keema's Nan wrote:
On 20 Mar 2020, MissRiaElaine wrote

Getting them to pay their fare would be even more of a challenge, given
the attitude that most of the scrotes we carried had.

They would have to fit the bus with a rail station style entrance which is
activated by a card of some description, although it might slow down
boarding
somewhat.

With no actual staff present to stop them, they'd just leap over the
gate, or get on by the exit door if there is one. Also how would
disabled passengers board with no staff to assist..?

Hmmmm.... it seems I have not thought this through.

Sam Wilson[_2_] March 20th 20 05:32 PM

Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu

wrote:
On 20/03/2020 17:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/03/2020 17:05, wrote:

If you can fly drones from land you can drive buses from home.

That fills my mind with absolute dread at the mere thought of it, I do
hope you weren't serious, or my recently eaten tea will be all over the
floor, and I really don't feel in the mood for cleaning right now..!

My point is that it is technically possible. However the sheer cost of
the equipment and providing the data bandwidth necessary will be
prohibitive.

tempting-fate
I’m sure you could do it with 5G...
/tempting-fate

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as

Spit the dummy to reply

MissRiaElaine March 20th 20 06:07 PM

On 20/03/2020 18:32, Sam Wilson wrote:

tempting-fate
I’m sure you could do it with 5G...
/tempting-fate

Possibly, although I don't think many drivers have room in their houses
for the full aircraft-style simulator cockpit you'd need; you couldn't
do it with a laptop screen and a joystick, too difficult to get all
round vision. With some of the cabs I've been in, it's hard enough when
you're actually sitting there..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

[email protected] March 20th 20 10:17 PM

On 20/03/2020 17:05, wrote:

If you can fly drones from land you can drive buses from home.

That fills my mind with absolute dread at the mere thought of it, I do
hope you weren't serious, or my recently eaten tea will be all over the
floor, and I really don't feel in the mood for cleaning right now..!

My point is that it is technically possible. However the sheer cost of
the equipment and providing the data bandwidth necessary will be
prohibitive.

tempting-fate
I’m sure you could do it with 5G...
/tempting-fate

Chortle

You might be able to do it with one bus per cell site. So the timetable
would have to be around this restriction and you'd need to arrange an
electronic token system to prevent more than one bus in a cell.

There you go I've got it half way back to railways.

John Levine[_2_] March 20th 20 10:28 PM

Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu

In article ,
wrote:
On 20/03/2020 16:39, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/03/2020 16:31, wrote:

They won't , 80% have very mild or no symptoms which means they can
stay at
work or at least work from home.

I used to be a bus driver. Not exactly the easiest job to do from home.

If you can fly drones from land you can drive buses from home.

I suspect that the alterations to provide a sealed driver's
compartment would be considerable cheaper and easier than fitting a
bus with remote controls.

--
Regards,
John Levine,

MissRiaElaine March 21st 20 12:03 AM

Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu

On 20/03/2020 23:28, John Levine wrote:
On 20/03/2020 16:31, wrote:

They won't , 80% have very mild or no symptoms which means they can
stay at
work or at least work from home.

I used to be a bus driver. Not exactly the easiest job to do from home.

If you can fly drones from land you can drive buses from home.

I suspect that the alterations to provide a sealed driver's
compartment would be considerable cheaper and easier than fitting a
bus with remote controls.

Volvo Ailsa.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

[email protected] March 21st 20 09:57 AM

Tube partially shut due to Kung Flu

wrote:

They won't , 80% have very mild or no symptoms which means they can
stay at
work or at least work from home.

I used to be a bus driver. Not exactly the easiest job to do from home.

If you can fly drones from land you can drive buses from home.

That fills my mind with absolute dread at the mere thought of it, I do
hope you weren't serious, or my recently eaten tea will be all over the
floor, and I really don't feel in the mood for cleaning right now..!

My point is that it is technically possible. However the sheer cost of

Its not technically possible to avoid all interference and once a signal is
lost the bus would have to slam on its emergency brakes which isn't ideal when
many people would be standing. Its an utterly stupid idea. Even self driving
buses would make more sense.