Old April 20th 20, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free travel on London busses

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:54:21AM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 23:54, Recliner wrote:
The screens are for virus, not yob, protection.

Not with holes in so you can hear people talk.

A screen with some holes in will provide a great deal of protection.
Obviously not perfect, for that you need to wear a space suit.

You know you're getting old when you fancy the
teenager's parent and ignore the teenager
-- Paul M in uknot

Old April 20th 20, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 10:20:53PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 04:07:36PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
I don't think there are many would-be paying punters at the moment, so it
hardly matters if their fares are collected or not.
20% of normal numbers, as of a week and a bit ago.
12% on provincial buses, 5% on rail, according to
https://www.cityam.com/coronavirus-r...-restrictions/

And many of those remaining bus passengers will be travelling free anyway.

I'd expect the proportion that are traveling for free to be much
reduced, as that's mostly elderlies and others who are diseased and
hence even more monk-like than the rest of us.

Agreed

Old April 20th 20, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:54:21AM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 23:54, Recliner wrote:
The screens are for virus, not yob, protection.

Not with holes in so you can hear people talk.

A screen with some holes in will provide a great deal of protection.
Obviously not perfect, for that you need to wear a space suit.

The holes have now been covered anyway.

Old April 20th 20, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/04/2020 21:45, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:54:21AM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 23:54, Recliner wrote:
The screens are for virus, not yob, protection.

Not with holes in so you can hear people talk.

A screen with some holes in will provide a great deal of protection.
Obviously not perfect, for that you need to wear a space suit.

I have vivid memories of pulling up at a bus stop somewhere in east
Birmingham about 15 years or so ago. There were two teenagers (I'm
guessing about 13 or 14) waiting, they looked ok(ish) so I stopped and
opened the doors.

Without attempting to board, they let fly with the contents of a large
box of raw eggs. Enough of the goo made it through the holes to give me
a very good start on an egg shampoo.

I wouldn't have minded so much but the first words of the controller
when I called on the radio to report it were not "are you ok" or "do you
want the police" or anything, all he said was "can you carry on in
service..?"

"Erm, let me think... I'm sitting here with my hair and half my uniform
covered in egg goo, what do you think..?"

Incidentally, I have also been spat at on more than one occasion through
those holes.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 20th 20, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/04/2020 21:40, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 11:46:37PM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 22:27, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 04:47:40PM +0100, Richard wrote:
London's move to board by the middle door comes about a month after it
was done in several other European bus networks, I wonder how much
illness and worse could have been avoided if TfL had made this decision
earlier ...
Very little, I would think, given that drivers are separated from
passengers by a plastic screen rather more substantial than the plastic
screens that are popping up in places like pharmacies. This change is
just an attempt to stop the public transport unions behaving like
bell-ends when management have more important things to worry about.

Those plastic screens are less than useless if a yob decides to have a
go at you.

But this isn't about yobs deciding to have a go at you, it's about
accidentally catching a disease from passengers who aren't deliberately
trying to pass it on.

They're still worse than useless. Like those idiotic face masks which
only work if you know how to put them on and take them off, do so
regularly and don't touch them while you're wearing them. Going around
looking like you're about to perform surgery does nothing.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 21st 20, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:54:21AM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 23:54, Recliner wrote:
The screens are for virus, not yob, protection.
Not with holes in so you can hear people talk.

A screen with some holes in will provide a great deal of protection.
Obviously not perfect, for that you need to wear a space suit.

The holes have now been covered anyway.

as you no longer walk past them

this issue is moot

tim

Old April 21st 20, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
[...]

it might do nothing to stop you from catching it

but it must do something to stop you passing it on

It won't be perfect at that, but a 50% reduction is well worth having

tim

Old April 21st 20, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 02:54:21AM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2020 23:54, Recliner wrote:
The screens are for virus, not yob, protection.
Not with holes in so you can hear people talk.

A screen with some holes in will provide a great deal of protection.
Obviously not perfect, for that you need to wear a space suit.

The holes have now been covered anyway.

as you no longer walk past them

this issue is moot

Not quite. There may still be passengers standing near the front, not far
from the screen, unless they've closed off the whole front area.
Old April 21st 20, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the whole point of simple face masks. It's why masks may soon
be compulsory on public transport, at least in London. They already are in
shops and PT in many other countries, even some US states.

It won't be perfect at that, but a 50% reduction is well worth having

Yup
Old April 21st 20, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:51:38PM +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/04/2020 21:40, David Cantrell wrote:
But this isn't about yobs deciding to have a go at you, it's about
accidentally catching a disease from passengers who aren't deliberately
trying to pass it on.

They're still worse than useless.

I'll take my local pharmacist's word for it over yours.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

It wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer every so often.
Purely for purposes of prevention, of course.

When did free London NYE travel begin? Mizter T London Transport 3 December 8th 15 11:14 PM
free free 100 dollors free 4days only FRee REGISTER ONLy fffghgfghghhhj London Transport 0 June 23rd 08 05:29 AM
TfL Busses MPT1327 System Q London Transport 7 April 16th 04 01:36 PM
Oyster Busses... Q London Transport 0 December 20th 03 03:06 AM
Busses Paul Weaver London Transport 37 October 22nd 03 07:55 PM