Old July 2nd 20, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Near miss on Met

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Peter
Able writes
IIRC Ongar used to be the tube station most distant from central london and
that only closed in 94.

That was my first instinct, but from Clive's website I see that I was
wrong !

As already discussed, it depends on what you count as "Central London".

My instinct is to use the Circle Line as the point to measure to. On
that basis (all numbers rounded):

Brill: 81 km
Verney Jn: 80 km
Quainton Rd: 70 km
Aylesbury: 60 km
Chesham: 42 km
Amersham: 38 km
Ongar: 37 km
Windsor & Eton Central: 35 km
Epping: 27 km
Uxbridge via Acton: 27 km
Uxbridge: 26 km
Watford Jn: 26 km
Watford Market via Finchley: 26 km
Upminster: 24 km
Heathrow: 23 km
Bushey Heath via Finchley: 20 km
Ealing Broadway: 20 km
High Barnet: 16 km
Edgware via Finchley: 16 km
Edgware via Golders Green: 14 km
Morden: 14 km
Mill Hill East: 11 km

Some more surprises the I'd always assumed that Verney Junction was
further than Brill. And I'm surprised that Upminster is only slightly
further than Heathrow (T5, I presume?). Windsor and Eton Central is also
much closer than I'd guessed.

Old July 4th 20, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
Some more surprises the I'd always assumed that Verney Junction was
further than Brill.

Verney Junction would be 127.83 km from Ongar and Brill would be 128.3
km.

And I'm surprised that Upminster is only slightly
further than Heathrow (T5, I presume?).

Upminster to Minories Jn is 36.43-12.19 = 24.24 km.
Gloucester Road to Heathrow T5 is 69.40-45.42 = 23.98 km.

I forgot about T4. It's at 71.53 (so more than 2 km further than T5) but
that's via T2&3. Going direct from Hatton Cross it would be at 66.83.

Windsor and Eton Central is also
much closer than I'd guessed.

25.01 km beyond Ealing Broadway.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old July 4th 20, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Recliner
writes
Some more surprises the I'd always assumed that Verney Junction was
further than Brill.

Verney Junction would be 127.83 km from Ongar and Brill would be 128.3
km.

Of course, Ongar and Brill/Verney Junction weren't part of the LU/Met
network at the same time, so they'd never have appeared on one network map.

And I'm surprised that Upminster is only slightly
further than Heathrow (T5, I presume?).

Upminster to Minories Jn is 36.43-12.19 = 24.24 km.
Gloucester Road to Heathrow T5 is 69.40-45.42 = 23.98 km.

I forgot about T4. It's at 71.53 (so more than 2 km further than T5) but
that's via T2&3. Going direct from Hatton Cross it would be at 66.83.

As it's a one-way loop, which would be the 'official' direction to measure?
I suppose, if all distances are measured from Ongar, you'd measure the
direct route. Would that be measured assuming switches at Mile End and
Hammersmith?

Old July 4th 20, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Recliner
writes
I forgot about T4. It's at 71.53 (so more than 2 km further than T5) but
that's via T2&3. Going direct from Hatton Cross it would be at 66.83.

As it's a one-way loop, which would be the 'official' direction to measure?

It's measured anti-clockwise, so if there are any posts in the tunnels
that's the way they go.

I suppose, if all distances are measured from Ongar, you'd measure the
direct route. Would that be measured assuming switches at Mile End and
Hammersmith?

Mile End and Barons Court.

Transfers are always done somewhere where the lines are parallel or on
the same track so you don't need to identify a specific place to
transfer.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old July 4th 20, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/07/2020 21:19, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article , Peter
Able writes
IIRC Ongar used to be the tube station most distant from central london and
that only closed in 94.

That was my first instinct, but from Clive's website I see that I was
wrong !

As already discussed, it depends on what you count as "Central London".

My instinct is to use the Circle Line as the point to measure to. On
that basis (all numbers rounded):

That's exactly why I changed what was going to be straight comparison of
distances to be how far the Chesham line would have got when the Ongar
got to the Bank. Seemed a far more graphical comparison to have one in
the city and the other not even within the Circle.

Good to see research and data overturn accepted BS.

PA