Old June 30th 20, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Chalfont & Latimer near miss 23rd June

Guy Gorton wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 19:23:16 +0100, Guy Gorton
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:28:41 -0500, Christopher A. Lee
wrote:

I was at Little Chalfont yesterday with a long-lens camera. My
vantage point was the road bridge for the road from L C to Latimer.
The last signal the Chiltern driver would have seen is almost under
the bridge on the western side - I could only capture its back over a
rather high parapet. I could not see any other signals before the Up
platform - there is one on the Chesham line which controls whether an
ex-Chesham train goes on to the main line or into the bay platform..
There is no signalling in the Up direction controlling use of rhe
crossover which is therefore one-way signalled.
The trailing crossover just a little west of the facing crossover has
no main signals and ground signals at that distance were beyond the
scope of my lens.
Does the working timetable put the Chesham Down train departure before
or after the Chiltern platforming ?

Google's sattelite view shows a signal almost on top of the facing
crossover. What would that be?

I have just put part of one of my photos on alt.binaries.pictures.rail
- I hope you can access binary groups.
I still cannot see a signal for the Up mainline. Clearly one to
control ex-Chesham trains which is showing red. I can also see a
ground signal just west of the trailing cross-over.
I can see at the left the back of a signal but that would refer to the
Chesham line.
Hope that helps.

What's the object more or less in line with that signal, to the left
of the down line?

The satellite view gives a distorted vertical perspective.

I cannot see anything but my long-distance photo is rather poor. If
the light remains good, I might have another try tomorrow with a
different DSLR and a different lens.

Guy Gorton

I have added a photo taken from the Down platform which shows the
crossover and other details.
Hope that helps.
Just one comment - the crossover and Chesham line points are
incrediblly close together.

Incidentally, while looking for your photos, I glanced at some of the
others posted at around the same time. One caught my eye (US BNSF 7638
Cameron IL 6-23-2019 c), as it features two heavy freight trains passing
over each other, one hauled by three locos and one by four. All seven locos
are in shot, close to the photographer's position, and the thunderous roar
as they passed must have been deafening.