Old July 10th 20, 09:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Farringdon to Moorgate

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 20:48:07 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:26:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.

Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.

I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings

Yes, that definitely looks a bit less crowded now.

and Hammersmith.

Too long for the sheds until alterations made ?

The longer trains meant that sidings had to be reorganised, which reduced
their number.

Google turns up some reference to Lillie Bridge now being used for
stabling S stock.

Yes, I think that's the main use now for the former depot.

Old July 11th 20, 06:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.

Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.

I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings and Hammersmith.

I didn't realise trains were lost in the Triangle as well as ships and
planes.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 11th 20, 07:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

They lost a Circle Line train for a week once.
They found it in Rickmansworth sidings.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Adrian Sherwood - 2012 - Survival & Resistance
Old July 11th 20, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Subway_Named_Möbius

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 12th 20, 03:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Basil Jet
writes
I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings and Hammersmith.

I didn't realise trains were lost in the Triangle as well as ships and
planes.

They lost a Circle Line train for a week once.
They found it in Rickmansworth sidings.

I'm told that, when trains full of scrap went into scrapyards, not all
the wagons managed to come back out.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

Old July 12th 20, 07:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:56:45 +0100, "Clive D.W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Basil Jet
writes
I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings and Hammersmith.
I didn't realise trains were lost in the Triangle as well as ships and
planes.

They lost a Circle Line train for a week once.
They found it in Rickmansworth sidings.

I'm told that, when trains full of scrap went into scrapyards, not all
the wagons managed to come back out.

Crewe 1998 - four locomotives, 30 wagons, 9 carriages disposed of to
heritage users ?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-1187721.html

ISTR some years ago there was one case in the USA involving railway
vehicles disappearing and then reappearing elsewhere after a respray
and someone being done in the UK after wagons disappeared in a scrap
yard.
Old July 12th 20, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 20:36:51 +0100, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:56:45 +0100, "Clive D.W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Basil Jet
writes
I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings and Hammersmith.
I didn't realise trains were lost in the Triangle as well as ships and
planes.
They lost a Circle Line train for a week once.
They found it in Rickmansworth sidings.

I'm told that, when trains full of scrap went into scrapyards, not all
the wagons managed to come back out.

Crewe 1998 - four locomotives, 30 wagons, 9 carriages disposed of to
heritage users ?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-1187721.html

ISTR some years ago there was one case in the USA involving railway
vehicles disappearing and then reappearing elsewhere after a respray

Allegedly the La Salle & Bureau County Railroad, I'm not sure if this
case from the early 1970s refers or if it is "previous" -
https://www.ravellaw.com/opinions/ef...18170be80b5818
[Bonanno v. La Salle & Bureau County Railroad]

Old July 13th 20, 08:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.

Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.

I suspect another added bonus of sidings at moorgate is that it'll be harder
for the graffiti morons to access them.

Old July 13th 20, 08:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

When did become a former depot? Didn't realise it had closed.

Old July 13th 20, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

https://anonw.com/2019/03/24/where-has-lillie-bridge-depot-gone/