London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,329
Default Farringdon to Moorgate


"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

.... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Adrian Sherwood - 2012 - Survival & Resistance

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 317
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:13:28 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

.... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


The general consensus is that when crossrail is eventually finished sometime
in the 22nd century, that line will be linked to the met line at farringdon
and used as sidings or maybe a terminus line. Though given how few people
are using the tube right now and TfLs cash crisis it probably won't happen
anytime soon I suspect.

  #3   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 697
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.

  #4   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,020
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

In message , at 10:13:28 on Fri, 10 Jul
2020, Basil Jet remarked:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


Additional capacity from Moorgate westbound on those lines, but is that
in isolation actually required?
--
Roland Perry
  #5   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 697
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:13:28 on Fri, 10 Jul
2020, Basil Jet remarked:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


Additional capacity from Moorgate westbound on those lines, but is that
in isolation actually required?


No, and it's not being provided. All they're doing is creating stabling for
eight Circle line trains, needed because of the loss of such sidings
elsewhere on the line when they had to be adapted for the longer S stock
trains.



  #6   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 317
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:45:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:13:28 on Fri, 10 Jul
2020, Basil Jet remarked:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


Additional capacity from Moorgate westbound on those lines, but is that
in isolation actually required?


No, and it's not being provided. All they're doing is creating stabling for
eight Circle line trains, needed because of the loss of such sidings
elsewhere on the line when they had to be adapted for the longer S stock
trains.


I wouldn't be surprised if they set them up as running lines just in case
of a tits up scenario east of moorgate. 4 terminus tracks is a lot more
useful than the current 2. IIRC there used to be 1 at liverpool street many
moons ago.

  #7   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 06:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 273
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.



Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?


Anna Noyd-Dryver

  #8   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 490
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:26:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?


They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.



Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.
  #9   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 697
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:26:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.



Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.


I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings and Hammersmith.

  #10   Report Post  
Old July 10th 20, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 490
Default Farringdon to Moorgate

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 20:48:07 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:26:13 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

"Another Station, Another Mile" says at...

https://youtu.be/yEiVXoalUQ0?t=580

... that the abandoned national rail lines from Moorgate to Farringdon
might see re-use as part of a plan to increase capacity on the C/M/H
lines. Does anyone know what he means?

They're being converted into sidings to stable eight S7 trains, needed
because the number of such sidings was reduced when these trains replaced
the shorter C stock. They won't be used as running lines.



Where have these eight trains been living for the last six years, then?

IIRC "in the wrong place" in the form of being parked in less
convenient places outwith traffic hours. Siding space has been lost at
Wembley Park because S stock is too long. That accounts for 4 or 5
trains and until recently there was at least one away at any one time
for mods.


I think some were also lost at Triangle sidings

Yes, that definitely looks a bit less crowded now.

and Hammersmith.

Too long for the sheds until alterations made ?

Google turns up some reference to Lillie Bridge now being used for
stabling S stock.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class 465s to Farringdon? Boltar London Transport 18 December 7th 06 11:03 AM
Thameslink Train Kentish Town to Farringdon James London Transport 1 March 8th 06 11:18 AM
Serious arcing at Farringdon Boltar London Transport 1 November 18th 05 10:10 AM
Farringdon Tickets Jim Brittin London Transport 2 August 31st 04 03:12 PM
Eighteen LU trains damaged at Farringdon... John Rowland London Transport 25 February 19th 04 05:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017