London Banter

-   -   Hammersmith Horror story (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17799-hammersmith-horror-story.html)

Graeme Wall September 18th 20 08:00 AM

Boatstitution

On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_4_] September 18th 20 08:10 AM

Boatstitution

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

Marland September 18th 20 08:28 AM

Boatstitution

Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

Have to say that I’m surprised a small pedestrian ferry using a suitable
craft run by professionals
hasn’t been put in place , perhaps Hammersmith and Fulham should ring up
Isle of Wight County Council whose Cowes floating bridge is broken again
and has a passenger launch service instead for the operators phone number.

There appears to be a jetty that could quickly brought into use on the
North Bank depending on how cooperative owner of it is, or made to be
,South Bank may need a temporary structure .

Arn’t the Duck tours in London suspended at the moment due to loss of
launch facility?
There appears to be a bit of a ramp by the Southern end of the bridge pop
in there and come out on the ramp by Chiswick Eyot though the Russian
oligarchs who have bought most of the properties along there may object.

GH

Richard J.[_3_] September 18th 20 06:05 PM

Boatstitution

Recliner wrote on Fri Sep 18 2020 09:10:37 GMT+0100 (BST) ...
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

It's not that easy. I don't think there's a suitable pier or landing stage on the Richmond/Barnes side ("Surrey bank"). Whatever you build has to cope with the tides which vary the water level by up to 6 metres. In fact the predicted spring tide tomorrow afternoon happens to be exactly 6 metres above the morning low tide at Hammersmith.

--
Richard J.

Graeme Wall September 18th 20 08:14 PM

Boatstitution

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

It's not that easy. I don't think there's a suitable pier or landing
stage on the Richmond/Barnes side ("Surrey bank"). Whatever you build
has to cope with the tides which vary the water level by up to 6
metres.Â* In fact the predicted spring tide tomorrow afternoon happens to
be exactly 6 metres above the morning low tide at Hammersmith.

How much would a temporary pontoon cost? Should be relatively easy for
the school to arrange. After all there's a load on unwanted pontoons at
Southampton right now!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

michael adams[_6_] September 18th 20 09:17 PM

Boatstitution

"Recliner" wrote in message
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

The tide probably. On the southern St Pauls side there are steps leading up to their
boathouse. While on the Hammrsmith side at low tide there are steps down
to foreshore used by rowing clubs. Howver all such steps can be slippery
depending on when the tide went down.

michael adams

michael adams[_6_] September 18th 20 09:22 PM

Boatstitution

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Recliner" wrote in message
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

The tide probably. On the southern St Pauls side there are steps leading up to their
boathouse. While on the Hammrsmith side at low tide there are steps down
to foreshore used by rowing clubs. Howver all such steps can be slippery
depending on when the tide went down.

Or if not steps ramps. But slippery nevertheless.

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams[_6_] September 18th 20 09:34 PM

Boatstitution

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

It's not that easy. I don't think there's a suitable pier or landing stage on the
Richmond/Barnes side ("Surrey bank"). Whatever you build has to cope with the tides
which vary the water level by up to 6 metres. In fact the predicted spring tide
tomorrow afternoon happens to be exactly 6 metres above the morning low tide at
Hammersmith.

How much would a temporary pontoon cost? Should be relatively easy for the school to
arrange. After all there's a load on unwanted pontoons at Southampton right now!

At low tide the pontoons are sat on the mud of the foreshore on the
Hammersmith Bank and the same would apply on the other
bank, Basically all river users have to regulate their activities in
accordance with the tides whereas schools need to keep to regular
hours.

Quite possibly many of the ferried boys are already rowers themselves
so ferrying them across in this way is no hardship but rather a novelty.

michael adams