Old January 5th 21, 04:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

In message , at 16:22:35 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
Tweed remarked:

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from the
first name of the parent.

Yes, hence the use of the word "similar" (not "identical")

Old January 5th 21, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/01/2021 14:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:22:00 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
NY remarked:

The first name is the one that sticks in people's minds. If they'd
wanted to called it the Elizabeth Line, they should have used that
name from the start. Having first called it Crossrail, that's the name
they should stick with.

Like for Opal Fruits, Marathon and Jif.

I hadn't even realised that the New Severn Bridge was now called the
Prince of Wales Bridge.

I've never heard a member of the public refer to the Dartford Bridge as
the QE II bridge.

I call it the Dartford Crossing, unless I really need to distinguish
between the n/b and the s/b.

"Dartford Bridge" is a small old bridge in the town centre.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1979 - Earcom 2 Contradiction - Joy Division
Old January 5th 21, 06:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:22:35 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
Tweed remarked:

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from the
first name of the parent.

Yes, hence the use of the word "similar" (not "identical")

I’ve recently found this fascinating and instructive:
https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply
Old January 5th 21, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:57:39 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:
On 05/01/2021 14:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:22:00 on Tue, 5 Jan
2021, NY remarked:

The first name is the one that sticks in people's minds. If they'd
wanted to called it the Elizabeth Line, they should have used that
name from the start. Having first called it Crossrail, that's the
name they should stick with.

Like for Opal Fruits, Marathon and Jif.

I hadn't even realised that the New Severn Bridge was now called the
Prince of Wales Bridge.

I've never heard a member of the public refer to the Dartford Bridge
as the QE II bridge.

I call it the Dartford Crossing,

I've always called it the Dartford Tunnel, although that's a bit out of
date since they also built a bridge.

Old January 5th 21, 09:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tweed" wrote in message

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from the
first name of the parent.
So Magnusson is the male offspring of a chap whose first name was Magnus
something elseson. If he also had a female offspring her surname would
be
Magnusdottir. (Magnus’s daughter)

It made for an interesting telephone book....

It must make genealogy "interesting" because every generation of a family
will have a different surname, as will brothers and sisters.

In Icelandic, do *both* the sons and the daughters take the father's first
name? I have vague memories of being told that daughter's sometimes take the
mother's first name - so Magnus and Oddny (*) might have a son with a
surname Magnusson and a daughter with a surname Oddnydottir (rather than
Magnusdottir).

Do Icelandic women generally take their husband's surname after marriage or
do they normally / always keep their maiden surname?

(*) The only Icelandic person I knew was a woman with this rather unusual (I
hesitate to say Odd!) first name.

Old January 5th 21, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Indeed, I don't think anyone stopped calling Thameslink, "Thameslink",
even when it was operated by FCC.

I remember arriving at St Pancras, maybe on foot or maybe by a tube line,
looking for the "new" (as it was then) Thameslink station, following the
closure of old KX Midland City station on Pentonville Road. And I couldn't
find it anywhere. All the other lines were clearly marked on overhead signs,
but there were no signs to Thameslink. Eventually I though I'd try the
"Govia" line - and found that this was what the Thameslink part of the
station was now called. Bloody stupid to rename it after the old name was so
well known and established. It's like all the renamings of football stadiums
to include the name of the latest sponsor.

Old January 5th 21, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/01/2021 18:17, Sam Wilson wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:22:35 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
Tweed remarked:

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from the
first name of the parent.

Yes, hence the use of the word "similar" (not "identical")

I’ve recently found this fascinating and instructive:
https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

The Afghan politican Abdullah Abdullah allegedly only had one name
originally, but he got so fed up with people from elsehwere asking for
his other name that he decided it was easiest to double it so he had one.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 5th 21, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/01/2021 15:00, Sam Wilson wrote:
NY wrote:

Why *do* Americans insist on using their middle initials/names on official
documentation? Does "John H Smith" sound more impressive than "John Smith"?

Apparently it does. Harry S Truman was given his middle initial in order
to suggest a middle name that he didn’t actually have.

Leading to this endless debate, which helps to keep Wikipedia editors
and such like from wandering the streets:
https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/educat...-s-truman-name

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 5th 21, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:22:35 on Tue, 5 Jan 2021,
Tweed remarked:

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from the
first name of the parent.

Yes, hence the use of the word "similar" (not "identical")

I’ve recently found this fascinating and instructive:
https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

The Afghan politican Abdullah Abdullah allegedly only had one name
originally, but he got so fed up with people from elsehwere asking for
his other name that he decided it was easiest to double it so he had one.

George Brown, the tired and emotional Labour politician, became Lord
George-Brown on his elevation to the peerage because he still wanted to be
called George Brown, even though peers are conventionally known only by
their surnames. He had to change his name to George George-Brown to do it,
though. Boutros Boutros-Ghali did something similar but I don’t know the
details.

Sam