Old March 8th 21, 07:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Gasworks Tunnel

Sam Wilson wrote:
Marland wrote:
Sam Wilson wrote:
Marland wrote:
Sam Wilson wrote:
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Look what was seen coming out of the disused Gasworks Tunnel:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large

Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.

Looking a bit grubby!

Sam

So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.

Yes, appropriately so!

For those who are mystified.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry

We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.

Sam

I had it as well unless there were more than one with the stories on it,
one of them has a reasonable recording of a steam train going fast .
Mother got quite fed up one afternoon when I borrowed her Garrard record
player and attempted with various measures of success to synchronise that
section of the recording with my Tri-ang Princess Royal and coaches on
there never ending journey around a track on 6’x4’ board which represented

wherever I wanted it to be.

And Morris got the rhythms right which, ironically, the Beatles’s drummer
never did!

I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old March 8th 21, 09:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/03/2021 07:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2005 - Bang Bang Rock & Roll - Art Brut
Old March 8th 21, 09:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 7 Mar 2021 11:02:37 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Look what was seen coming out of the disused Gasworks Tunnel:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large

Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.

Looking a bit grubby!

Sam

So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.

Sigh. Youngsters.

When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).

It was The Fat Comptroller.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry

GH

Old March 8th 21, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Trolleybus" wrote in message
When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).

It was The Fat Comptroller.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry

Where did the spelling "comptroller" come from? Is it etymologically more
correct than "controller"? Is "comptroller" actually pronounced with an "n"
and a silent "p", and was the spelling therefore changed to match the
pronunciation? Was "comptroller" still an accepted (ie not archaic) spelling
when Rev Awdry wrote his books in the 1940s?

Interesting how spellings evolve over the years:

alarum - alarm
shew - show (*)
comptrol(ler) - control(ler)
connexion - connection

Connexion is a weird one. Was it actually pronounced as spelled, with an X
sound in the middle rather than the "sh" sound of "connection"?

(*) As in the sign on Wakefield buses even into the 1940s and 1950s "All
tickets must be shewn". My dad can remember that everyone ridiculed the
spelling and offered to "shoo" their tickets to the conductor, so evidently
it was seriously archaic even then.

Old March 8th 21, 10:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/03/2021 10:06, NY wrote:
a silent "p"

Silent, like the pee in bath.

Or, the particularly apt French for swimming pool: piscine.

Old March 8th 21, 11:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:44:35 on
Mon, 8 Mar 2021, Trolleybus remarked:
wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:
Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Look what was seen coming out of the disused Gasworks Tunnel:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large

Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.

Looking a bit grubby!

Sam

So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.

Sigh. Youngsters.

When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).

It was The Fat Comptroller.

Notwitstanding:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1184_.jpg

I have some first edition Thomas books (plus the one with Gordon in the
tunnel: The Three Railway Engines, the first in the series) and the
person in question then was "The Fat Director".

Book 2 "The Fat Director"

Book 3 (James the Red Engine) Arghh - This one seems to be missing from
my collection. If someone has an original copy from the 50's
maybe they can look.

But by book 4 and onwrds it was "The Fat Controller".

Gordon was rehabilitated in number seven of the series (published 1953)
the forward of which says:

Dear Ian,

You asked for a book about Gordon. Here it is. Gordon has been
naughty, and The Fat Controller was stern with him.

Gordon has now learnt his lesson and is a Really Useful Engine
again.

I wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber was a Thomas fan.
Old March 8th 21, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 09:12:53 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 08/03/2021 07:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.

A clip from the American b/w TV show I've got a secret"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLZewcgIK8
Old March 8th 21, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/03/2021 09:12, Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/03/2021 07:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from
John
Lennon!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.

I'm told that technically, Pete Best was the better drummer, he just
didn't fit with the other members.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old March 9th 21, 08:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

That seems odd. Have any fictional characters had more names?

Were there different editions, perhaps regional? My memories would be
from copies circulating in the 60s. I didn't have a clue what a
comptroller was. I still don't other than a vague idea it's more akin
to a chief accountant that an operations person.