Old April 7th 21, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LO lines to be named

On 07/04/2021 11:59, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 08:44:48 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
The
three DLR lines shown on
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

They're not really even lines, just routes with plenty of shared running.

That could be applied just as well, or badly, to the subsurface lines.
If you're on foot halfway between Bank and Tower Gateway and you need to
get to Beckton or City Airport, it would be nice if the standard Tube
map told you which terminus has direct trains and which doesn't.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2003 - The Lemon Of Pink - The Books

Old April 7th 21, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
The
three DLR lines shown on
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

They're not really even lines, just routes with plenty of shared running.

That could be applied just as well, or badly, to the subsurface lines.
If you're on foot halfway between Bank and Tower Gateway and you need to
get to Beckton or City Airport, it would be nice if the standard Tube
map told you which terminus has direct trains and which doesn't.

When I last commuted on the DLR in 2015 trains from Bank went to IIRC 3
destinations so the map would probably look rather complex.

Old April 7th 21, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/04/2021 09:44, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

The
three DLR lines shown on https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

Grouping of services into lines is fairly arbitrary. The Central Line
has multiple services branded as a single line, which keeps the map
simple and has no obvious drawbacks.

IMO the Northern services through Charing Cross and the Northern
services through Bank should be named and coloured separately, even if
the timetable remains the same as now, to stop tourists thinking you can
get the Northern Line from Leicester Square to Kings Cross.

As for the DLR, the Tower-Beckton has to have a different colour from
the Bank - Woolwich, and the two lines at Stratford need different
colours and names from each other. I think the three groupings used on
the map I linked to are the minimal solution that meets those
requirements, although the colours need to be more different - they are
using slight variations on the DLR colour, when LU isn't stupid enough
to use different shades of red and blue for all of their lines.

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). An unrecognised asset pretty much unique to LO is loads
of bridges in prominent locations like Camden and Shoreditch, and these
could also be liveried like the trains. The livery would also appear in
simplified form on the tube map line. So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

See
https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinstac...15-cropped.png
for a reminder of the old black and white tube map, for an indication of
how patterned versions of coloured lines could represent the LO and the DLR.

Old April 7th 21, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.
Old April 7th 21, 10:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply

Old April 7th 21, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

snip
There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.

Too many designers fail to appreciate the issues of colour blindness.
It's not just the London Underground Diagram, web pages, print
advertising; almost anything that uses colour. I sometimes think
patterns might be better but I find myself wondering if they might
cause other problems (epilepsy?).

When I was tested for colour blindness there was some interesting
literature I was provided with which suggested that the spectacles
that get prescribed for colour blindness have been shown to help some
dyslexics. I don't know, just reporting what was claimed. But one
thing a dyslexic child was claimed to have said stuck with me "the
letters in the words dance across the page". It made me realise
there's an awful lot we don't know about ourselves.
Old April 7th 21, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:15:00 +0100, Graham Harrison
wrote:

snip
There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.

Too many designers fail to appreciate the issues of colour blindness.
It's not just the London Underground Diagram, web pages, print
advertising; almost anything that uses colour. I sometimes think
patterns might be better but I find myself wondering if they might
cause other problems (epilepsy?).

When I was tested for colour blindness there was some interesting
literature I was provided with which suggested that the spectacles
that get prescribed for colour blindness have been shown to help some
dyslexics. I don't know, just reporting what was claimed. But one
thing a dyslexic child was claimed to have said stuck with me "the
letters in the words dance across the page". It made me realise
there's an awful lot we don't know about ourselves.

That dyslexic child is not alone. That effect is one of the reasons
you see some people reading while moving a rule under each line or
moving their finger along the text (other than when that is done to
keep your place while reading out to and intermittently looking toward
an audience).
Old April 8th 21, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

snip

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bw-large-print-map.pdf

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2004 - 18 Monkeys On A Dead Man's Chest - David Thomas & Two Pale Boys
Old April 8th 21, 01:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/04/2021 22:13, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Old April 8th 21, 06:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '