London Banter

-   -   60+ pass use outside london (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17855-60-pass-use-outside-london.html)

tim...[_2_] May 9th 21 06:52 AM

60+ pass use outside london

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
oops sent that before I had finished

try again:

apropos something entirely unrelated, I was perusing the 60+ pass
validity
and I came across the rule:

"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services
outside
of London."

at:

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/se...ster-photocard
and
I thought *what*!Note that what I am reading are pages updated for
Covid,
so are currentlydifferent to any previous pages you may have read.Is
this
just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of
Englandservices, or do they really mean that I can't currently use a
TFL
serviceacross the boundary?Because I've certainly done that on a bus in
the past, and the ticket officeat "London Terminals", have used outside
the boundary stations for sellingme excesses (no prompting from me)The
map here's
help:https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-mapIt's
recently been complicated by the "not before 9:00" rule, but
containsnothing to differential between old person's Freedom pass and
60+
passes (itdon't claim to represent 60+ pass, but I can't find a map
that
does).I aware of the rule that doesn't allow 60+ pass use on Crossrail
Reading,but what about other "outside the boundary" lines?

what happened here ?

The 60+ pass is only valid in London. It's not a national bus pass
(unlike
the Freedom Pass). It's always been that way, ever since it was
introduced.

Yes I know

but that doesn't make sense of the rule that I quoted, which seems to
suggest that I have to go to the driver and "pay" as soon as the bus
reaches
the "London" boundary

Not on TfL buses. I don't suppose 60+ passes are valid at all on other
buses that operate into London.

Nope,

They don't accept Oyster or count towards capping either

It's weird the way that these out of London buses have evolved

I can go all the way to Redhill or Dorking, miles outside the boundary on
TfL fares, but I can't go to Thames Ditton by bus (though I can by train).
"Red" busses used to go to Thames Ditton.