London Banter

-   -   M25 A10 improvements and weird layby (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17856-m25-a10-improvements-weird-layby.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] May 8th 21 07:27 PM

M25 A10 improvements and weird layby

Apparently a new avoiding slip from M25 E/B to A10 N/B is being constructed.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-wo...-improvements/

But my question is about what is (or was) there before the work. For
years there has been a weird lay-by on the northbound A10 just north of
the M25, weird because you can only get into it by stopping on the dual
carriageway at the end and reversing in. There are usually lorries
parked in the cul-de-sac part, usually placed so that you would struggle
to reverse a normal car past them, even if you weren't worried about
cars on the dual carriageway crashing as you reversed. What is this? Was
it originally built as part of an earlier plan to build an avoiding slip
that got cancelled? Was it originally a normal lay-by whose entrance
somehow got obliterated?

It might have been removed by now, but Google still shows it.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2000 - Heliocentric - Paul Weller

Robin9 May 9th 21 11:35 AM

I've driven along that route countless times and have never noticed anything
unusual about the road layout. I'll go and look again just out of interest.

Peter Able[_2_] May 9th 21 03:35 PM

M25 A10 improvements and weird layby

On 09/05/2021 16:24, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 19:27:22 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

Apparently a new avoiding slip from M25 E/B to A10 N/B is being constructed.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-wo...-improvements/

But my question is about what is (or was) there before the work. For
years there has been a weird lay-by on the northbound A10 just north of
the M25, weird because you can only get into it by stopping on the dual
carriageway at the end and reversing in. There are usually lorries
parked in the cul-de-sac part, usually placed so that you would struggle
to reverse a normal car past them, even if you weren't worried about
cars on the dual carriageway crashing as you reversed. What is this? Was
it originally built as part of an earlier plan to build an avoiding slip
that got cancelled? Was it originally a normal lay-by whose entrance
somehow got obliterated?

It might have been removed by now, but Google still shows it.

Looks like the remnants of a slip road, but it's a wonder that the
'access' hasn't been blocked off, considering that it is dangerous to
access. I've seen similar bits of excess road that have been
permanently coned off, couldn't tell you where though.

Not, perhaps, as dangerous as it seems. Beyond the crash barrier a
slow-moving lorry could pull left and stop with his rig to the left of
the line of the crash barrier.

Still pretty dodgy, though!

PA

Basil Jet[_4_] May 9th 21 08:03 PM

On 09/05/2021 11:35, Robin9 wrote:
I've driven along that route countless times and have never noticed
anything
unusual about the road layout. I'll go and look again just out of
interest.

It's been partly obliterated now, and just looks like what you typically
see mid-construction. You're better off looking in Google.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1998 - Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis

D A Stocks[_2_] May 10th 21 10:25 PM

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Apparently a new avoiding slip from M25 E/B to A10 N/B is being
constructed.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-wo...-improvements/

But my question is about what is (or was) there before the work. For years
there has been a weird lay-by on the northbound A10 just north of the M25,
weird because you can only get into it by stopping on the dual carriageway
at the end and reversing in. There are usually lorries parked in the
cul-de-sac part, usually placed so that you would struggle to reverse a
normal car past them, even if you weren't worried about cars on the dual
carriageway crashing as you reversed. What is this? Was it originally
built as part of an earlier plan to build an avoiding slip that got
cancelled? Was it originally a normal lay-by whose entrance somehow got
obliterated?

Looking at some old maps online it's not completely out of order for it to
be a remnant of the A10 from before the M25 was built. Also, J24-25 opened
over two years before J25-27 so it could be the remains of a temporary
junction.

This kind of thing is quite common; here is a slip road on the A23 that was
built but never opened to traffic:

--
DAS

Marland May 11th 21 08:11 PM

D A Stocks wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Apparently a new avoiding slip from M25 E/B to A10 N/B is being
constructed.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-wo...-improvements/

But my question is about what is (or was) there before the work. For years
there has been a weird lay-by on the northbound A10 just north of the M25,
weird because you can only get into it by stopping on the dual carriageway
at the end and reversing in.

Looking at some old maps online it's not completely out of order for it to
be a remnant of the A10 from before the M25 was built. Also, J24-25 opened
over two years before J25-27 so it could be the remains of a temporary
junction.

This kind of thing is quite common; here is a slip road on the A23 that was
built but never opened to traffic:

--
DAS

Although not the case in the OP’s example on the M27 there are some similar
features which is where
Meon services were going to be built. They never were but the slips were
and it is also the reason for the very long slips to and from junction 9 as
the service area entrances were going to be off those rather than the
Motorway direct .
Though it now hard to see the actual entrances due to vegetation they can
be made out.

https://goo.gl/maps/HZPw6ViY7U9e5u6B8

The idea of a service area or even just one for lorries en route to the
nearby Ports of Southampton and Portsmouth was still on the back burner to
the extent the never used East bound exit was resurfaced and tidied up
early 2018 which is why on this aerial view you have a nice road with lane
markings leading to some bushes.

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/syaFu1Fsf75bqzix7

Of course Department of Transport like most government bodies loves to
waste taxpayers money
and within a month or two started work on turning that section of the M27
into a Smart Motorway and installed foundations for the overhead gantries
through the newly relaid tarmac thereby making its refurbishment just in
case it is needed in future a waste of Money.

GH