London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 25th 21, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2021
Posts: 1
Default North Woolwich station

Anyone know whats going to happen to the former station building? I was
looking back in streetview yesterday and noticed that in 2017 there was
a sign up saying it would be refurbished:

https://goo.gl/maps/Hjgcm8fMbHLudZjo9

But that vanished in 2018 and the place is still derelict.


  #2   Report Post  
Old May 26th 21, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2011
Location: Leyton, East London
Posts: 900
Default

I don't know what's going to happen or who is responsible.
It's a handsome building - or at least is when it's in a good state
of repair and decoration - and it should be brought back into use.

I've always been a bit sorry it is no longer part of the public
transport system but as the North Woolwich line has been
converted into a tram service, no formal station buildings are
necessary. I believe for a short time the station was used as a
museum.
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 26th 21, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 895
Default North Woolwich station

Robin9 wrote:

I don't know what's going to happen or who is responsible.
It's a handsome building - or at least is when it's in a good state
of repair and decoration - and it should be brought back into use.

I've always been a bit sorry it is no longer part of the public
transport system but as the North Woolwich line has been
converted into a tram service, no formal station buildings are
necessary.


It's more like a normal railway than a tram, but the DLR doesn't even pass
close to the old station building. At its closest, the line is almost a
quarter of a mile away.

I believe for a short time the station was used as a museum.


Yes, for 24 years:

From 1984 until 2008 the original station buildings and one disused
platform served as the North Woolwich Old Station Museum, dedicated to the
history of the Great Eastern Railway. The building was then owned by the
Passmore Edwards Museum Trust and run by the London Borough of Newham - on
its closure most of the collection was dispersed and the building passed to
the Trust's successor, the River Lea Tidal Mill Trust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Woolwich_railway_station#North_London_line

There was also a proposal for it to become a heritage line and museum, but
Crossrail took over most of its potential route:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Docks_Heritage_Railway



  #4   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2021
Posts: 1
Default North Woolwich station

On Wed, 26 May 2021 20:32:21 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:
I've always been a bit sorry it is no longer part of the public
transport system but as the North Woolwich line has been
converted into a tram service, no formal station buildings are
necessary.


It's more like a normal railway than a tram, but the DLR doesn't even pass


The 3rd rail might be a teensy problem for street running!

There was also a proposal for it to become a heritage line and museum, but
Crossrail took over most of its potential route:


And a road has now been built across whats left of the rest of it so thats
dead in the water.

  #5   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2011
Location: Leyton, East London
Posts: 900
Default

Wow - 24 years! Slightly more than a short time!


  #6   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 895
Default North Woolwich station

On Thu, 27 May 2021 10:44:57 +0100, Robin9 wrote:


Wow - 24 years! Slightly more than a short time!


It's a pity that it hasn't found a new role as a museum of the once huge, sprawling network of local dock railways.
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,385
Default North Woolwich station

On 27/05/2021 14:16, Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2021 10:44:57 +0100, Robin9 wrote:


Wow - 24 years! Slightly more than a short time!


It's a pity that it hasn't found a new role as a museum of the once huge, sprawling network of local dock railways.


What would such a museum contain? "Here's is a map of this branch... and
there is a map of that branch... and there is a map of the other branch"

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
B-Sides (part 3) - The Coral
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 895
Default North Woolwich station

Basil Jet wrote:
On 27/05/2021 14:16, Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2021 10:44:57 +0100, Robin9 wrote:


Wow - 24 years! Slightly more than a short time!


It's a pity that it hasn't found a new role as a museum of the once
huge, sprawling network of local dock railways.


What would such a museum contain? "Here's is a map of this branch... and
there is a map of that branch... and there is a map of the other branch"


No, the history of them, how they formed the life-blood of the whole dock
system, and what happened to them after the docks closed. A working scale
model of a dock with its cranes and trains would be good, too.

  #9   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 70
Default North Woolwich station

Recliner wrote:
No, the history of them, how they formed the life-blood of the whole dock
system, and what happened to them after the docks closed. A working scale
model of a dock with its cranes and trains would be good, too.


A Port of London museum could be quite interesting. Do any of the existing
museums cover that? There's NMM Greenwich not to away, but that's not London
focused.

Theo
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 27th 21, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2018
Posts: 86
Default North Woolwich station

On 27/05/2021 20:14, Theo wrote:
Recliner wrote:
No, the history of them, how they formed the life-blood of the whole dock
system, and what happened to them after the docks closed. A working scale
model of a dock with its cranes and trains would be good, too.


A Port of London museum could be quite interesting. Do any of the existing
museums cover that? There's NMM Greenwich not to away, but that's not London
focused.


Museum of London holds their archive but I don't know if they routinely
have anything on display.


--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steam between North Woolwich and Custom House... Mizter T London Transport 6 August 12th 06 07:55 PM
Steam between North Woolwich and Custom House... Al Holmes London Transport 0 August 11th 06 12:02 PM
Bus services in North Woolwich TheOneKEA London Transport 0 March 26th 06 06:03 PM
North Woolwich branch to close John Rowland London Transport 26 October 11th 05 12:23 AM
Canning Town - North Woolwich ONscotland London Transport 10 May 25th 05 03:55 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017