Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 21st 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New to London - Late night travel advice, please?

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
om...
I'm a student due to start my first job in the City next month (I'm
terrified, I've only ever been to London 5 times!!).

Good luck, Adam. Enjoy yourself - I worked in the City for a commodity
broker for 12 years and loved every minute of it (although I didn't live in
London)!

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get around London late(ish) at
night? From, say, Bank station to Hanger Lane. How safe is the tube at
about 11pm?

Central Line from Bank to Hangar Lane. You shouldn't encounter any problems.
Always look confident and be aware of what is going on around you.
Pickpockets etc. usually only go for the obvious tourist types who look
lost. Keep your bags zipped up, keep your wallet/keys/phone/Travelcard where
you can keep an eye on them (I always wear a fleece jacket with zip-up
pockets), get yourself an A-Z and get your bearings before you set out.
Don't stop and look things up in the street - it makes it obvious that you
are unfamiliar with your surroundings. Just basic common sense things
really. It isn't scary wandering around London and, tbh, I feel safer
wandering around Central London and the West End than I do walking home in
my local town. I've never once been in a 'situation' in London, which is
more than I can say for a number of other towns and cities!

Does anyone local know how much a cab to the Hanger Lane
area from the City would cost?

No idea, I'm afraid. A lot!

Any advice really would be much appreciated,

You're very welcome. Have a great time and make sure that you enjoy yourself
as well as working! ;-)