London Banter

-   -   Kings Cross mainline - query (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1876-kings-cross-mainline-query.html)

Marratxi June 24th 04 01:36 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

I read in one of the railway magazines that there were plans to add another platform(s?) to Kings Cross, where the taxi rank is now. Is anything actually happening there and what is the purpose of the apparently new or newly painted steel girder which is placed at an angle under the ramp where it turns off York Way. I have posted a photo in alt.binaries.pictures.rail
Cheerz,
Baz

John Hearns June 24th 04 02:10 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:36:41 +0100, Marratxi wrote:

I read in one of the railway magazines that there were plans to add another platform(s?) to Kings Cross, where the taxi rank is now. Is anything actually happening there and what is the purpose of the apparently new or newly painted steel girder which is placed at an angle under the ramp where it turns off York Way. I have posted a photo in alt.binaries.pictures.rail

The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Henry June 24th 04 02:11 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

"John Hearns" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:36:41 +0100, Marratxi wrote:

I read in one of the railway magazines that there were plans to add

another platform(s?) to Kings Cross, where the taxi rank is now. Is anything
actually happening there and what is the purpose of the apparently new or
newly painted steel girder which is placed at an angle under the ramp where
it turns off York Way. I have posted a photo in alt.binaries.pictures.rail
The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Steam services only?

Darren June 24th 04 02:17 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

"John Hearns" wrote in message
. ..
The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Its amazing how many people you see do that (seriously)

Roland Perry June 24th 04 03:17 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

In message , Marratxi
writes
I read in one of the railway magazines that there were plans to add
another platform(s?) to Kings Cross, where the taxi rank is now.

I came across a Railtrack-era brochure a few weeks ago that listed all
kinds of exciting upcoming improvements over the whole length of the
ECML. I'm sure that a new "Platform 0" at KX was one of them. As far as
I can tell, none of them has happened (the first phase should have been
completed by now).

J. Chisholm June 24th 04 04:31 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

Roland Perry wrote:

I came across a Railtrack-era brochure a few weeks ago that listed all
kinds of exciting upcoming improvements over the whole length of the
ECML. I'm sure that a new "Platform 0" at KX was one of them. As far as
I can tell, none of them has happened (the first phase should have been
completed by now).

What do you mean?

Haven't they upgraded a power supply near Stevenage AND they've just
started on the 'Allington' chord line N of Grantham. (you can see the
site huts being installed from line to Nottingham) You can't describe
that as 'Nothing'?

Jim Chisholm

Roland Perry June 24th 04 05:36 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

In message , J. Chisholm
writes
Haven't they upgraded a power supply near Stevenage AND they've just
started on the 'Allington' chord line N of Grantham. (you can see the
site huts being installed from line to Nottingham) You can't describe
that as 'Nothing'?

I was thinking about the more obvious (to a mere passenger) stuff like
rearranging all the tracks from KX up past Finsbury Pk to the carriage
sidings, doubling the Welwyn Viaduct, putting in a flyover at Hitchin
and redeveloping Peterborough Station. [As well as the OP's question
about Platform 0.]

Brian Watson June 24th 04 06:06 PM

Kings Cross mainline - query

"Darren" ] wrote in message
"John Hearns" wrote in message
. ..
The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Its amazing how many people you see do that (seriously)

Is there a hospital nearby?

:-))

--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop

John Hearns June 25th 04 12:26 AM

Kings Cross mainline - query

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:06:06 +0100, Brian Watson wrote:

"Darren" ] wrote in message
"John Hearns" wrote in message
. ..
The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Its amazing how many people you see do that (seriously)

Is there a hospital nearby?

National Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.

Brian Watson June 25th 04 08:32 AM

Kings Cross mainline - query

"Darren" ] wrote in message
"John Hearns" wrote in message
. ..
The platform is already there, Platform 9 3/4
Simply walk straight at the girder, and keep on going.

Its amazing how many people you see do that (seriously)

Is there a hospital nearby?

National Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.

Does it have an A&E unit for bumps 'n bruises (or a psychiatric unit for
those with "it said in Harry Potter..." syndromevbg)?

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."