Old June 30th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

"Clive Page" wrote in message

Isn't there scope here for a bit of Usenet collaborative work: many of
us know motorway junctions (not necessarily near where we live) where
there's a supermarket, petrol station, cafe or whatever within a quarter
of a mile or so of the exit. How about forming a list, with basic
directions?

http://www.offmotorway.com

Seems to be confined to B&B establishments, from what I've seen so far.

When the M40 first opened through, without services, diversions at High
Wycombe to Asda, Banbury to Tesco and off the M42 to various filling
stations on the cut-off from J1 to J4 on the M5 were convenient and are
still cheaper than the service stations.

Coming south, a turn off at J2 and heading for Slough found another Tesco
store on the A4. Back to the M25 at J14, or the M4 at J5, depending on the
traffic.

If going clockwise round the M25 and wishing to join the M4, a diversion up
the M3 to Bracknell, and then via the A329M to the M4 is shorter and
quicker, and passes Sainsbury's in Bracknell en route.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old June 30th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:39:28 +0100, Clive Page
wrote:

Isn't there scope here for a bit of Usenet collaborative work: many of
us know motorway junctions (not necessarily near where we live) where
there's a supermarket, petrol station, cafe or whatever within a quarter
of a mile or so of the exit. How about forming a list, with basic
directions?

M20, J10 (Ashford) A20 Hythe Road, towards Sellidge and Hythe:
Tesco's with petrol station and cafe, about 100yds from junction.
Very convenient when heading for the Channel Tunnel

--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.
Old June 30th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Bob Martin
writes

I don't know what the official policy is for signs to off-motorway
services, but all those I can recall have been very close-by on major
roads, rather than on local side roads, and tend to point to service
areas that offer the full range of motorway-style facilities.

There are very strict rules for motorway service areas. Much of which are
designed to prevent the service area becoming a destination for local
travellers. i.e. They don't want locals using the motorway more just to get
to the service station. Which is why the type of things they can sell is
limited, you won't see a furniture shop at a M/way services for example.

Some of the rules I've seen suggest that services should not be accessible
from outside the motorway, however I can think of numerous examples where
this is not the case.

Old June 30th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

How about forming a list, with basic directions?

M1 J11 ver Dunstable Tesco about a mile along, 24hr fuel and store.
Cafe to about 6pm

M25/A12 - decent-priced petrol station on the A1023 (the Brentwood town
road) about a hundred yards from the junction, which is probably closer to
the M25 than the Thurrock services is.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old June 30th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 at 11:52:05, Mark Hewitt
wrote:

There are very strict rules for motorway service areas. Much of which are
designed to prevent the service area becoming a destination for local
travellers. i.e. They don't want locals using the motorway more just to get
to the service station. Which is why the type of things they can sell is
limited, you won't see a furniture shop at a M/way services for example.

I thought one of the most modern service areas - forget which, or where
it is - was positioning itself as just that, somewhere to go. I gather
it had a load of shops that you wouldn't normally find in a service
area. But as I can't tell you which one it was, I suppose it's possible
that I was dreaming. But I don't think so!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Old June 30th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth
writes

A majority of motorway service station staff are now "Italian" or
"Portugese".

Please state which motorway services this applies to. I've used almost
every motorway services in the last year and found this not to be true.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old June 30th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

Please state which motorway services this applies to. I've used almost
every motorway services in the last year and found this not to be true.
--

Forton seems to be staffed mostly by Chinese
Old June 30th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:52:05 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

Some of the rules I've seen suggest that services should not be accessible
from outside the motorway, however I can think of numerous examples where
this is not the case.

Most do not allow access by normal drivers from outside the motorway,
but one presumes that access must be available for staff in case any
live locally and wish to walk or cycle to work. In most cases, such
access seems to be available, but is marked with a no-entry sign.

If it's off the motorway, of course, as many are, outside access
generally is available for all.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old June 30th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Most do not allow access by normal drivers from
outside the motorway, but one presumes that
access must be available for staff in case any
live locally and wish to walk or cycle to work.
In most cases, such access seems to be available,
but is marked with a no-entry sign.

In the case of Clacket Lane clockwise services, anyone is allowed to access
via the local road (which not surprisigly is called Clacket Lane) so long as
they are booked into the hotel in the service station. I don't know if
similar rules apply for the hotel at Scratchwood or any other services.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped