Old July 1st 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
S M S M is offline

Default Bus Chrips

Hi,

Does anyone know why buses have been installed with electronic chirps. They
are like a horn and all the drivers seem to use them for is saying hello to
other buses. The routes I have seen the used are 345, 319 and 49,

Old July 2nd 04, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"S M" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

Does anyone know why buses have been installed with electronic chirps.

They
are like a horn and all the drivers seem to use them for is saying hello

other buses. The routes I have seen the used are 345, 319 and 49,

They are supposed to be alarms to call for assistance if the driver is in
trouble.

Old July 2nd 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 20:46:45 +0100, "S M" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know why buses have been installed with electronic chirps. They
are like a horn and all the drivers seem to use them for is saying hello to
other buses. The routes I have seen the used are 345, 319 and 49,

It's the "I'm being attacked" alarm. Quite why the drivers can't smile
or wave at each other I don't know.
--
Paul C

Old July 6th 04, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It gets really irritating around busy areas like Oxford Street. I think the
bus operators should link the "Help, I'm being attacked" alarm to an engine
cut-off (one that can't be reset without having to get out of the cab and
stand in the rain for a few minutes)- maybe that would stop the silly pratts
from chirping the things all the time.

After all, if the driver really is being attacked, it's probably as well
that the engine stops, in case the attacker is trying to steal the bus!