London Banter

-   -   Northern line stock not wearing well (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1929-northern-line-stock-not-wearing.html)

Boltar July 5th 04 08:42 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

I've been travelling on the northern line recently after a gap of a number
of years and I've noticed that the interior of the new trains is looking
decidely tired (and I'm not talking about the obligatory graffiti). Paint is
flaking off the hand rails, the doors look badly scuffed , the seat materials
grubby and of course the whole thing isn't helped by the rancid colour scheme
anyway. Is it just me or are the interiors of the trains ages fast when compared
to other stocks?

B2003

Richard J. July 5th 04 09:03 PM

Boltar wrote:
I've been travelling on the northern line recently after a gap of a
number of years and I've noticed that the interior of the new
trains is looking decidely tired (and I'm not talking about the
obligatory graffiti).

I haven't seen any graffiti on Metronet trains (SSL and BCV) for the
last 2 months. Do they still exist on the Northern Line? If so, Tube
Lines need to learn from Metronet.
--
Richard J.

Andy W July 16th 04 02:50 PM

On 5 Jul 2004 13:42:13 -0700, (Boltar) wrote:

I've been travelling on the northern line recently after a gap of a number
of years and I've noticed that the interior of the new trains is looking
decidely tired (and I'm not talking about the obligatory graffiti). Paint is
flaking off the hand rails, the doors look badly scuffed , the seat materials
grubby and of course the whole thing isn't helped by the rancid colour scheme
anyway. Is it just me or are the interiors of the trains ages fast when compared
to other stocks?

B2003

The seats are probably no grubbier than on other trains but the colour
scheme (which includes white!!) shows the dirt more.

The doors and other surfaces have been damaged by the cleaning teams
using electric polishers with abrasive compound to remove graffiti.
Probably best to have scuffing than the graffiti though.

Both of these problems would not have happened if there had been a
better choice of interior materials.

Andy

Helen Deborah Vecht July 16th 04 04:05 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

(Andy W)typed

Both of these problems would not have happened if there had been a
better choice of interior materials.

Like the red, green & black on the '38 stock?

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

ITMA July 17th 04 07:34 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

I can't wait for the northern line trains to wear out and be replaced -
hopefully they will not use the same designer next time - the route maps are
cleverly concealed to the average standing person behind the hand rail above
the seats, and there's also less headroom by the doors compared to the old
trains.

Richard J. July 17th 04 08:51 PM

ITMA wrote:
I can't wait for the northern line trains to wear out and be
replaced - hopefully they will not use the same designer next time
- the route maps are cleverly concealed to the average standing
person behind the hand rail above the seats, and there's also less
headroom by the doors compared to the old trains.

Visibility of line diagrams is poor on most tube stock. Mostly, they're
either partly obscured by hand rails, or right next to the lights so you
get dazzled, or poorly illuminated. The refurbished 73 stock on the
Piccadilly got it right.
--
Richard J.

Steve Dulieu July 18th 04 12:35 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message
ITMA wrote:
I can't wait for the northern line trains to wear out and be
replaced - hopefully they will not use the same designer next time
- the route maps are cleverly concealed to the average standing
person behind the hand rail above the seats, and there's also less
headroom by the doors compared to the old trains.

Visibility of line diagrams is poor on most tube stock. Mostly, they're
either partly obscured by hand rails, or right next to the lights so you
get dazzled, or poorly illuminated. The refurbished 73 stock on the
Piccadilly got it right.

'bout the only thing we did get right on the refurbs...:-(
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Steve Fitzgerald July 19th 04 09:13 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

Visibility of line diagrams is poor on most tube stock. Mostly, they're
either partly obscured by hand rails, or right next to the lights so you
get dazzled, or poorly illuminated. The refurbished 73 stock on the
Piccadilly got it right.

'bout the only thing we did get right on the refurbs...:-(

I'm sure there must be *something* else right about them. Leave me to
have a think about it..........

Steve Dulieu July 19th 04 10:40 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

Visibility of line diagrams is poor on most tube stock. Mostly,

they're
either partly obscured by hand rails, or right next to the lights so

you
get dazzled, or poorly illuminated. The refurbished 73 stock on the
Piccadilly got it right.

'bout the only thing we did get right on the refurbs...:-(

I'm sure there must be *something* else right about them. Leave me to
have a think about it..........

One I came home on from Arnos tonight had "This train is for closed" on the
saloon scrolling displays. Which, I have to admit, is not one I've seen
before...

Though we could find you in Blackpool at the moment ;-)

Steve Fitzgerald July 19th 04 11:24 PM

Northern line stock not wearing well

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

I'm sure there must be *something* else right about them. Leave me to
have a think about it..........

One I came home on from Arnos tonight had "This train is for closed" on the
saloon scrolling displays. Which, I have to admit, is not one I've seen
before...

Though we could find you in Blackpool at the moment ;-)

Well, after waiting for the staff taxi to bring me in for my 'second
'arf', I decided to make my own way back ;-)