London Banter

-   -   Oyster at Bank (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1946-oyster-bank.html)

Matthew July 11th 04 01:48 AM

Oyster at Bank

The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

Helen Deborah Vecht July 11th 04 11:56 AM

Oyster at Bank

Matthew typed

The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

So that people with Oyster PrePay, entering DLR at Bank, don't end up
with an overpriced 'unresolved journey'?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Ian Tindale July 11th 04 02:42 PM

Oyster at Bank

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Matthew typed

The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

So that people with Oyster PrePay, entering DLR at Bank, don't end up
with an overpriced 'unresolved journey'?

How can you get that far without already having passed through barriers?
--
Ian Tindale

James Farrar July 11th 04 03:06 PM

Oyster at Bank

Ian Tindale wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Matthew typed

The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

So that people with Oyster PrePay, entering DLR at Bank, don't end up
with an overpriced 'unresolved journey'?

How can you get that far without already having passed through barriers?

Or even having walked past a yellow dot.

If the Oyster reader is there, that seems to me to imply that you can
get that far from the street without passing a target. If so, you must
be able to exit from there to the street without passing one, and IMO
that's too deep to be reasonable.

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Helen Deborah Vecht July 11th 04 03:09 PM

Oyster at Bank

Ian Tindale typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Matthew typed

The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

So that people with Oyster PrePay, entering DLR at Bank, don't end up
with an overpriced 'unresolved journey'?

How can you get that far without already having passed through barriers?

Maybe they enter at Bank, maybe they got on at Burnt Oak, where the
ticket office is seldom open and the barriers seldom closed...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

DJ July 11th 04 03:27 PM

Oyster at Bank

"Matthew" wrote in message
The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

Is it possible to get from street level to the DLR platforms without passing
a barrier by using the lift?

DJ.

Spyke July 11th 04 09:56 PM

Oyster at Bank

In message , DJ
writes
"Matthew" wrote in message
.. .
The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

Is it possible to get from street level to the DLR platforms without passing
a barrier by using the lift?

Don't the stairs and travelator from the W&C platforms emerge in the
ticket hall on the street side of the barriers? (I could be wrong, I
hardly ever use them).
Given that there are now no barriers in the foot-tunnel between the W&C
platforms and the LUL part of the station (and even when there were,
they were rarely in use) it would be possible to get to the DLR that
way.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Robin Mayes July 11th 04 11:00 PM

Oyster at Bank

"DJ" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message
The Oyster card validatoris on the DLR platforms at Bank are set to
"enter" only, and the posters (not just the stickers) say that only
pre-pay holders need to use them, and only when starting their DLR
journey. I still can't really see why they are necessary...

Is it possible to get from street level to the DLR platforms without

passing
a barrier by using the lift?

The mobility impaired lift in King William Street does.

DJ July 11th 04 11:06 PM

Oyster at Bank

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

Is it possible to get from street level to the DLR platforms without

passing
a barrier by using the lift?

The mobility impaired lift in King William Street does.

What, does avoid the barriers? If so there's the answer.

DJ.

Matthew July 11th 04 11:42 PM

Oyster at Bank

Don't the stairs and travelator from the W&C platforms emerge in the
ticket hall on the street side of the barriers? (I could be wrong, I
hardly ever use them).
Given that there are now no barriers in the foot-tunnel between the W&C
platforms and the LUL part of the station (and even when there were,
they were rarely in use) it would be possible to get to the DLR that
way.

The W & C has a gate line at the foot of the travelator, and if you're
using prepay you should use a validator at Waterloo, so that isn't the
answer....