Old July 17th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JO JO is offline

Default Vistor to London

I've got 4 of us here making a trip to London

1) What's a good central area to stay in? We've identified some motels in
Paddington, Kings Cross, or Victoria. Would someone care to comment on
these locations?

2) We'll be travelling around London for about 4.5 days - what's the
cheapest way to travel. Oyster 7-day pass looks ok. Or, buy indivdual day
passes? Has anyone used the Travel Pass? Any comments?

3) When we get to Stansted, what would be the best way to London. Coach,
Rail, or... ?

TIA

Old July 17th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JO" wrote in message
u...
I've got 4 of us here making a trip to London

1) What's a good central area to stay in? We've identified some motels in
Paddington, Kings Cross, or Victoria. Would someone care to comment on
these locations?

Paddington and Victoria are ok. I'd avoid KX at the moment - it's pretty
filthy due to all the Channel Tunnel Rail Link work going on around there.
For decent budget-priced hotels check out www.travelinn.co.uk,
www.hiexpress.com, www.novotel.com, www.travelodge.co.uk.

2) We'll be travelling around London for about 4.5 days - what's the
cheapest way to travel. Oyster 7-day pass looks ok. Or, buy indivdual

day
passes? Has anyone used the Travel Pass? Any comments?

Sounds your best bet.

3) When we get to Stansted, what would be the best way to London. Coach,
Rail, or... ?

Stansted Express runs to Liverpool Street every fifteen minutes during the
day. Check www.onestanstedexpress.com. Liverpool Street is convenient for
Paddington, Victoria or King's Cross.

HTH

Old July 17th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
"JO" wrote in message
u...

[..]
2) We'll be travelling around London for about 4.5 days - what's
the cheapest way to travel. Oyster 7-day pass looks ok. Or, buy
indivdual day passes? Has anyone used the Travel Pass? Any
comments?

Sounds your best bet.

AIUI the Travel Pass is a Visitor Travelcard together with free or
discounted entry to various tourist attractions. Whether this is
worthwhile depends on what you want to do during your visit. Note that
the Visitor Travelcard is valid for Zones 1-6, whereas most tourist
sights are within zone 1.

Unless you are going to spend all your time in museums etc., I would
suggest either a 7-day Zone 1 Travelcard (£17) or Zone 1/2 Off-Peak Day
Travelcards (£4.30), depending on expected usage. Note that any
Travelcard includes validity on buses in all zones.
--
Richard J.

Old July 17th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" 1) What's a good central area to stay in? We've identified some motels in
Paddington, Kings Cross, or Victoria. Would someone care to comment on
these locations?

pretty standard areas for tourists on a budget, not the most upmarket parts
of London, if I had a choice I would probably forget Kings Cross, pretty run
down, some street crime, Paddington has good and bad parts, Victoria is in
walking distance of the river, Buckingham Palace, nice parks and all the
touristy bits.

2) We'll be travelling around London for about 4.5 days - what's the
cheapest way to travel. Oyster 7-day pass looks ok. Or, buy individual

day
passes? Has anyone used the Travel Pass? Any comments?

Others will be better placed to comment on this, as I local I don't buy
these tickets.

3) When we get to Stansted, what would be the best way to London. Coach,
Rail, or... ?

Well if you go for Victoria then one of these coach services will take you
direct to Victoria Coach Station.. train will involve a taxi from Liverpool
Street station to get to either of the three areas you mention, or a tube
with stairs, escalators, etc. to navigate with heavy bags. Coach may take
longer because of traffic etc. but could be almost door to door if you stay
in Victoria. (Suspect coach will work out cheaper a well)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/airports.cfm

http://www.terravision.it/london.html

Have a look at this map.. Coach station is just left of centre, Buckingham
Palace just off the top edge (where it says Royal Mews) and Westminster off
right.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...178780&A=Y&Z=1

Sure others will have a million more ideas for you... enjoy London..!!

Old July 17th 04, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 at 14:14:27, Richard J.
wrote:

Unless you are going to spend all your time in museums etc., I would
suggest either a 7-day Zone 1 Travelcard (£17) or Zone 1/2 Off-Peak Day
Travelcards (£4.30), depending on expected usage. Note that any
Travelcard includes validity on buses in all zones.

I would buy a zones 1-2 7-day Travelcard, as then you can explore areas
such as the Docklands developments, etc.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Old July 18th 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JO JO is offline

Thanks to all... from Australia! Those comments are appreciated, and it
will help us make up our mind on some of the things we were undecided about.

No knowledge like what can be got from the locals.

Old July 18th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
sth sth is offline

Hi JO

I saw your posting on the internet and thought that I would give You my
oppinion as a visitor to London as well. I am from Denmark and have been
traveling to London nine times.

The best hotel I have ever had over there is Mornington, just north of Hyde
Park. Swedish run hotel and it shows. Clean, neat and great breakfast!
http://www.mornington.se/392.asp

I have just been to London 3 weeks ago and stayed at the St. Giles right in
the centre of London, where Oxford Street meets Tottenham Court Road. OK
hotel and excellent placed near tubestation and in walkingdistance of say
Piccadilly Circus. http://www.stgiles.com/londonhotel/index_london.html

As for transport from Stanstead Airport I always use the Stanstead Express.
The station is right underneath the airport, only one stop directly to
Liverpool Street station, and if You are staying at one of the above hotels,
just take the Central Line on the tube. Easy! Of course if You have a lot of
bags, then catch a taxi.

I enslose a link to an american internetsite which reviews hotels. I found
it very helpfull as I was looking for hotels up to my last trip.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

Have fun in London!

Greetings from Denmark

Steen Hansen

u...

Old July 18th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"sth" wrote in message

The best hotel I have ever had over there is Mornington,
just north of Hyde Park. Swedish run hotel and it shows.
Clean, neat and great breakfast!

Their croissants are famous!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 19th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

1) What's a good central area to stay in? We've identified some motels in

We had an excellent time last year at a hotel caddy-corner from the
Gloucester Rd station, fwiw. Tube and bus access was immaculate. If you'd
like me to dig up the details, I can.

Old July 20th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:28:28 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"sth" wrote in message

The best hotel I have ever had over there is Mornington,
just north of Hyde Park. Swedish run hotel and it shows.
Clean, neat and great breakfast!

Their croissants are famous!

I think that has got to be the worst single joke anyone has ever made
or will ever make on this newsgroup....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk