London Banter

-   -   New York subway (was: London Free Rides) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2025-new-york-subway-london-free.html)

Mark Brader August 9th 04 07:50 AM

New York subway (was: London Free Rides)

Roland Perry:
Examples exist in London too (2 x Edgware Rd, Shepherds Bush,
Paddington, Hammersmith and even KX subsurface/deep tube)

Also, the zonal ticket system in London doesn't penalise the traveller
making such a change, whereas the NY one does.

Mark Brader:
Huh? Sure it does. Only with a strict fare-by-distance system is there
no penalty for a change that you can't do on a single ticket.

Clive Feather:
Isn't that Roland's point?

A change between the Hammersmith, KX, or Paddington stations doesn't
invalidate your ticket, even though you leave LU and enter public (or
semi-public at Paddington) space. So they can be done as part of a
single fare.

Right. But that's because London has a fare control system that allows
you to move from one to the other fare-paid area on a single fare at
those stations; this has nothing to do with whether or not that single
fare is flat, zonal, by distance, or something else.

The NY equivalents can't.

I say there are no "New York equivalents", as explained in my earlier
message, but really it depends on what you count as equivalent.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "When you're up to your ass in alligators, maybe